1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 6:27 AM by TSGal

Files, Media, etc.

Jeff123

Title

Files, Media, etc.

I am currently trying out both Bento 2 and Filemaker, and as much as I like Bento 2 so far, it does not give me enough to truly customize the database (and more-so, it will not lock the fields so if you click it all those boxes won't show up).  

There is one thing I really really like about Bento though (other than it being real easy to use), and that is the media field, file list, and message list... the drag and drop features are great!  But I cannot seem to find it on the more advanced Filemaker program.  Is it not included in the trial, or just not a feature?  If it is a feature, how would I set it up?

I am currently using this for Mac. 

• 1. Re: Files, Media, etc.
          TSGal

Jeff123:

Thank you for your post.

The Media field in Bento 2.0 translates to a Container field in FileMaker Pro.  With a Container field, you can store pictures, movies, sounds and files.

The File List field in Bento 2.0 does not translate directly to FileMaker Pro.  You can attach a file into a Container field, and when double-clicked, the file will open in its default application.  For example, you can insert a Microsoft Word file, and when double-clicked, the file will open in Microsoft Word.  You can also set a Container field to have multiple values, so you can attach several files (images/movies/sounds) to a record.

A Message List field is not available in FileMaker Pro.  For those unfamiliar with Bento 2.0, you can attach email messages from Apple Mail to a record.

Although FileMaker Pro has many more features than Bento, please keep in mind that Bento 2.0 was written specifically for Apple Leopard (OS X 10.5.x) to take advantage of integration into Apple Mail, Address Book and iCal, while FileMaker Pro runs on both Mac OS and Windows.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.