3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2010 8:59 AM by Cate

Filmmaker Pro 6.0 randomly "not responding" when sharing in multi user mode

Cate

Title

Filmmaker Pro 6.0 randomly "not responding" when sharing in multi user mode

We use Filmmaker Pro 6.0v4 to keep track of all orders for our chocolate company.  The main computer, where one must boot up FMP initially/daily work quickly and smoothly (most of the time).  The two other computers that share the program cannot operate the program quickly or smoothly.  Invariably, within 10 minutes, the system will shut down and we must "force quit" because FMP is "not responding".  Meanwhile, the main computer is running smoothly on FMP.

Is there a bug in the program?  It was working fine for years.  Shall I reinstall the program?   

• 1. Re: Filmmaker Pro 6.0 randomly "not responding" when sharing in multi user mode
          philmodjunk

For the "two other computers that share the program", how do they connect to the database. Do they use "Open Remote" or some other method?

Do all three computers use the same operating system?

Is the same exact version of filemaker installed on all three?

It's possible that there may be some hidden corruption in your database that one operating system or version of filemaker tolerates when the others don't. It's possible that your two other computers access a layout or group of records that is damaged that does not happen on your first computer.

Do you have back up copies?

Try recovering the file and (after hours when no one is using the system) test the recovered copy to see if it shows the same problem. If the recovered file can be used without crashing the database, you have a damaged file that should be replaced with a back up copy that isn't damaged.

• 2. Re: Filmmaker Pro 6.0 randomly "not responding" when sharing in multi user mode
            davidanders

<<We use Filmmaker Pro 6.0v4 to keep track of all orders for our chocolate company.  The main computer, where one must boot up FMP initially/daily work quickly and smoothly (most of the time).  The two other computers that share the program cannot operate the program quickly or smoothly.  Invariably, within 10 minutes, the system will shut down and we must "force quit" because FMP is "not responding".  Meanwhile, the main computer is running smoothly on FMP.

Is there a bug in the program?  It was working fine for years.  Shall I reinstall the program?>>

Translation??

I have a document running in an application.

That document has been used for years.

The older the document gets, the crankier it gets.

I have to bash it on the head to get it to quit.

Every time I bash it on the head, it gets crankier.

I have no backups of the document when it behaved itself.

I have not replaced the document with a known good backup, I just keep bashing it on the head. 

• 3. Re: Filmmaker Pro 6.0 randomly "not responding" when sharing in multi user mode
              Cate
                 Thanks for your feedback.  Are you suggesting that we simply re-install our Filemaker Pro 6.0v4 program?