1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 9:25 AM by philmodjunk

Filter based on login (newbie)

PeterdeGroot

Title

Filter based on login (newbie)

Hi I am testing filemaker for an internal apllication (database) we want to run. 

After publishing the database with instatnt web publishing I want to limit the data that a user can see in a layout based on the login he used.

Is this possible and if so can you please point me in the right direction

• 1. Re: Filter based on login (newbie)
          philmodjunk

For starters: See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.

This describes a method you can use to limit a user's ability to view/access records on a record by record basis.

Get ( AccountName ) or Get ( AccountPrivilegeSetname ) can be used with this method to limit a user's or group of users' access on a record by record basis.

Note that finds performed by the user or by a script will automatically omit "no access" records from a user's found set.

And when playing with Manage | Security, it's good to do two things:

Save a Backup copy of your file before changing security settings so that you can't accidentally lock yourself out of the file.

Add a button that uses Re-Login to open up the password dialog when you click the button--this allows you to change logins quickly and easily while testing your security settings and associated scripts.