4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 6:04 PM by LaRetta_1

Filter data onto separate page based on selection

brianbotkiller

Title

Filter data onto separate page based on selection

Hi all, 

I have a pretty simple layout database, wherein I am marking cases as "open", "closed", "on hold", etc. - records hold other information, like some client information, and such - it is all listed as a columned list, so it goes name, notes, status, etc. 

I'm wondering if there is a way to make records which I mark as "closed" move onto a separte page in my layout when I select "closed".  I don't want to delete the entry, but simply move it over to a separate page when I set its status to closed. 

if anyone has a thought on this, I would be very appreciative.  Thanks so much! 

• 1. Re: Filter data onto separate page based on selection
          Abhaya

Hi Brian,

Here you want to move  to a new layout after choosing the status as "closed".

So its simple  just do the status field as a value list dropdown and keep all status in the list

Then write a script  that allow you to perform corresponding task (go to new layout) by taking the status as script parameter.

This script must be attached by  On Object save trigger.

Thanks & Regards

• 2. Re: Filter data onto separate page based on selection
            LaRetta_1

Hi Brian,

First we need to get on same page as far as terms.  You are requesting that Closed records move.  Records don't move.  All you can do is sort or omit them from the current found set or go to another layout and find only closed.

If you wish to change a record's status to Closed and have it disappear, then you could do that if you are using vs. 11 by using script triggers.  OnObjectModify, script attached could be something like: 

If [ Status = "Closed" ]
            Omit Record
            End If

• 3. Re: Filter data onto separate page based on selection
              brianbotkiller

I suppose I don't need it to move, I just need it to not be displayed on the primary list of current projects.  However, I need to be able to shift all the close records over to another page, so that I can quickly look at what has been closed.  I know that a record can't move, persay, but I can display the data in different ways, right?

Atauf; that sounds right, though I'm a little confused about how to do it, to be honest.. I will experiment with the fixes you guys have suggested, if you have other thoughts please do throw them at me, and thank you so much for your input! 

• 4. Re: Filter data onto separate page based on selection
                LaRetta_1

Hi Brian,

"I just need it to not be displayed on the primary list of current projects."

Then you need to control which records are displayed in your found set.  This can be done by the User or handled automatically.  Example, you can place a button in the header of the list layout which says, "Omit Closed".  Script would have the following step:

Constrain Found Set [ Restore ; Action: Omit ; Field:  Status ; Value:  Closed

When clicked, it will automatically constrain the current found set to 'omit' all closed.  The same holds if you want to view a layout with only closed records.  You, by writing a script, go to the layout you wish and Perform Find [ Restore ; Action: Find ; Field ; Status ; Value ; Closed ].