AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filter Portal and Select Record from Portal

Question asked by david583 on Jan 1, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 by david583

Title

Filter Portal and Select Record from Portal

I have a graphics table in my solution that is used by other tables. The layout I'm trying to acheive I have only seen using custom functions(seedcode example) but I am using Pro with no chance of the boss buying advanced. I was hoping there was another way of acheiving it.

In the layout there is a large thumbnail of the graphic and fields for all of its details. I also have a portal showing small thumbnails and titles only. This portal is based on a cartesian (x) relationship using the primary key field so it currently shows all the records and selecting one does not select the same record in the main view.

What I would like to acheive is to have them both work together, i.e. if a record is selected in the portal I want that record and its details active in the main view, and vice versa the record in the main view be the active record in the portal.

I also want to sort by category i.e. when view all or a category is selected I only want to show the records in both instances that match the category filter.

Is there a way to acheive this without the use of custom functions? I have been able to filter the portal but it did not relate to the main view as all records were available.

Thankyou in advance for your help.

P.S. I should mention I am using FM Pro 10, not advanced. I am using a Windows XP platform over a network with the server acting as host, all users have licenced copies. I have been learning FM as I go with the aid of forums, and the FM tutorials. I am a technician, (the one who'll build it for them for free) not a developer.

Outcomes