3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 6:51 AM by philmodjunk

Filter portal with drop down list or checkbox selection

brianquillin

Title

Filter portal with drop down list or checkbox selection

Trying to filter a portal - each record of the portal will contain a "season" field that displays a year (ie. 2011, 2012, etc).

I created a field called "season_selector" containing values reflecting the same values.

I tried to filter the portals with a calculation ' Contacts::season_selector = Items::season ' but it didn't work?

is there a better way to do this?  what am I missing?

thanks in advance...

• 1. Re: Filter portal with drop down list or checkbox selection
          brianquillin

Fixed part of it myself but now I have a new problem...

I added a "Refresh Portal" script and set that script trigger on the ' season_selector ' field.

If I select 2012, I see the 2012 records in the portal (same result with 2013 - which is good)

NEW PROBLEM:

How can I change my calculation filter statement to ALLOW BOTH SETS of records from 2012 & 2013 (or any other season selected)?

thanks again...

• 2. Re: Filter portal with drop down list or checkbox selection
            Sorbsbuster

Have two global fields, one for each year selected.  Change the filter to be

gYear1 = Items::season or gYear2 = Items::season

Or, if the second year is always the next year after the first year:

gYear = Items::season or gYear = ( Items::season - 1 )

• 3. Re: Filter portal with drop down list or checkbox selection
              philmodjunk

Or you can use inequalities so that the two dates define a range of seasons where gYear1 is the earliest season and gYear2 is the last specified season:

GlobalsTable::gYear1 < Items::Season and GlobalsTable::gYear2 > Items::Season

And if you include gYear1 and gYear2 as fielids in the relationship (you can use the same equality or inequality operators), you won't need a script to refresh the portal. This will eliminate the need for using these fields in a portal filter expression, BTW. (Of course you can include the fields in a relationship using the cartesian join operator (X) and then still use a portal filter--without needing that refresh script, but from just what is posted so far, that seems unecessarily complicated.)