3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 8:17 AM by philmodjunk

Filter/query help required

SPED75

Title

Filter/query help required

I'm creating a database for property management.  I have a table for properties and a related table for safety certificates.  I want to create a new table layout that only shows the properties that do not have any related records in the safety certificates table. Is there a simple solution to create this filter?

Thanks,

Steve 

• 1. Re: Filter/query help required
          philmodjunk

I don't know how you have linked your tables. I am assuming you have the following relationship:

Properties:: PropID = Certificates:: PropID

In your Properties table, define the following calculation field, cPropIDCert:

Certificates:: PropID

For manual finds, place this field on a layout based on your Properties table.

Enter find mode

Enter an =  in cPropCert

Perform the find

The resulting group of records will be all property records that do not have related records in Certificates.

• 2. Re: Filter/query help required
            SPED75

Thank you, that certainly answers my query, but taking it a a step further...

The Safety Certs table is actually a Join Table (containing the certificate expiry dates) between the Property Table and Certificate Types table ie Gas, Electric, Fire Safety, etc...

How do I create a new layout that shows the properties that do not have a certain type of certificate? 

By the way, I am new to Filemaker, currently running version 10. 

• 3. Re: Filter/query help required
              philmodjunk

Instead of creating a new layout, you can perform a find to show just those properties lacking a given certificate.

Enter find mode on  a property layout that also displays the "Certificate type" field in a portal.

Enter the type of certificate in question.

Click the omit button

perform the find

This finds all Property records that don't have related record with the specified certificate type.