3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 4:17 PM by aklobby

Filtered portal, show only certain records

aklobby

Title

Filtered portal, show only certain records

I have a layout that shows all of my records in list view. On that layout I have a filtered portal (only showing one row). I use the filter to find criteria relating to one client. Many clients have criteria relating to each issue on the portal but I only want to display the records on the layout relating to the one client. I can't seem to get this to happen. The filter works fine in that it finds the criteria per client, but I can't get a find to work to omit the records pertaining to the other clients. I have also tried to get this to work without a portal, just using the global field to find the client and show the criteria, but it still keeps the records that do not relate to the client in question. 

This layout does have fields frommmany other table occurrances. Perhaps I am trying to do too much on one layout. 

Any help here would be appreciated. 

Allison

• 1. Re: Filtered portal, show only certain records
          aklobby

Additional Information for the request above. I am adding a screen shot of the layout so the issue is more apparent. I want to be able to say if the portal row showing on the layout is empty, then do not show the record. 

You will see on the screenshot that I have filtered the portal to show me only the positions of one client. I want to send the client the layout with only their topics that they are following on it and not the topics that would relate to another client. 

I hope this helps clarify the problem somewhat. Unfortunaltey I am not as knowledgeable about Filemaker functions as I would like to be.

Thanks, 

Allison

• 2. Re: Filtered portal, show only certain records
            aklobby

Found the answer: 

Set Variable $ClientName; Value: gClientNameFilter

Enter Find Mode

Set Field[fkClientID; $ClientName]

Perform Find

Allison

• 3. Re: Filtered portal, show only certain records
              aklobby

Help! This portal stopped filtering. Everything was working fine when I tested this. The portal was filtering properly but then when I loaded the database on Filemaker server and added real data to the databse the portal stopped filtering properly. I have a script set as above and a filter portal criteria of $ClientName=fkClientID. The search works and finds all the records that are related to the proper client but it does not display all of the information in the portals. For instance, if I am showing the portals in a list layout with the data will show in the portals on the first two records, but will not show up on any subsequent records. Also, it will not show the client that we are searching for in the top of the portal when it does show the data. I am not sure what went wrong, but I can't seem to find my way back to what was working before. 

Allison