AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filtered Portals that update without Refresh Window

Question asked by philmodjunk on Dec 20, 2011
Latest reply on Nov 15, 2014 by DanielWheelon

Title

Filtered Portals that update without Refresh Window

I've been sharing a demo file that illustrates auto-complete enabled drop down value lists that enter ID numbers and filtered search portals that update keystroke by keystroke.

The portals have had a key flaw that limited their usefulness as first pointed out to me by LaRetta: Refresh Window [Flush Cached Join Results] can greatly slow down system performance--especially with Go clients and WANs as it does far more than just refresh the current window. Unfortunately, I didn't know of a way around that limitation that still maintained the keystroke by keystroke responsiveness.

Just today, a post by Mark Gores generously shared a method that enables a filtered portal to update when a field referenced in the filter is modified without needing to use the Refresh/Flush. The method uses a cartesion self join separate from the portal relationship to force a the portal to update. Not only does this work, it eliminates the annoying window "flash" produced by the Refresh Window step.

I have now implemented his suggestion in the demo file and updated the shared copy.

Here's the link to the updated demo file for those who are interested: http://www.4shared.com/file/plr_jbkk/EnhancedValueSelection.html

Outcomes