AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filtered Value List for Drop Down

Question asked by Vinny on Sep 9, 2011
Latest reply on Sep 9, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Filtered Value List for Drop Down

Hello,

I'm trying to develop a clean method for a drop down list to assign a sales rep to a customer account.  I don't want to do a pick list pop up type layout, and I really like type ahead.

I would like any account to be able to also be a sales rep by way of having a sales rep code (2 letters) assigned to it.  If there is no sales rep code, then the account is not a sales rep.  Note: I would be willing to have a true / false field "is sales rep" if that is required.

The sales rep code will be the link / relationship between the account and it's sales rep (another account).  This is so that I can use type ahead features as opposed to using a foreign key linked to the account id.

Also, if the sales rep code changes, I want the change to be reflected automatically in the account which is using that sales rep. (referential integrity)

How do I set up a relationship(s) so that I can have a value list which only shows non-empty sales reps? I'm guessing I need some self joins since there is really only one table I'm talking about here (accounts).  The problem I am having is that I am so used to using access and a simple SQL query, where in filemaker I think I need to make this happen via relationships.

Outcomes