4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 9:43 AM by philmodjunk

Filtering summary report body part

SarahCW

Title

Filtering summary report body part

I wonder if anyone can help me with a conundrum. I'm trying to set up a report based on one table of information - a client call database - to see the number of calls made, follow-up calls and appointments made. I have a value list attached to a dropdown in the original input layout, so these can be easily filtered (with values of 'initial call', 'follow up call' and 'appointment made'). When I create a summary report using this information, I get a number of records (using a summary field in the table with a 'count of' calculation) in the sub summary part and a full list of all the companies called etc, (field 'company') in the body part.

Now the crux of my condundrum is this: How do I filter this so that I still get the number of records from the summary field in the sub summary part, but only show the company names of those with the 'appointment made' value?

I've also tried adding a portal to show related records from an appointments table, but this doesnt seem to work.

I'm using FM Pro 11.

Any help would be gratefully received!

• 1. Re: Filtering summary report body part
          GuyStevens

I would love to try and help you out, any chance you could give me a little bit more information on the data that's on the report?

On what field are you sorting your report? Is it on the type of call?
          Are you showing all the types of calls (initial call, follow up call...)

I can't imagine what your report might look like.

A screenshot would do wonders.

You say your report is based on one table.
          But I would imaging Company's come from another table. Is that right?

• 2. Re: Filtering summary report body part
            philmodjunk

How do I filter this so that I still get the number of records from the summary field in the sub summary part, but only show the company names of those with the 'appointment made' value?

I'm also unsure of what you want here. If you want to use only records where a specific field contains the text "appointment Made", you can perform a find to produce a found set where only records with this text are in the found set. This will change the counts reported by the summary field so that's the part that's not clear--whether this is what you want or if you want counts for all records, but to only list companies where this value is in the field.

You might want to post an example of the report you want to see.

• 3. Re: Filtering summary report body part
              SarahCW

I want to be able to count all records, but only list the companies with the value 'appointments made', so that it looks like this:

Initial call             180

Follow up call         5

Appointment made   2

Company name1

Company name2

Total number of calls    187

I need to exclude all the company names that come up under Initial call and Follow up call. is this possible?

• 4. Re: Filtering summary report body part
                philmodjunk

If you want this for a print out, preview or PDF of your report, you can do a little slight of hand with sliding fields.

Define a calculation field such as:

If ( YourField = "appointment made" ; Company Name Field )

This field will be empty for all but the records where the value is "appointment made" in this field

Then you can put this calculation field in the body in place of Company and set it to "slide up" , "resize enclosing part".

If you want to see this in browse mode, then you'll need to set up a different approach such as using self join relationship to match to and count the records of each category while your found set only includes records with this value.