3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 11:53 AM by Sorbsbuster

Filtering Text in a Portal with a Partial Match

CodySteele

Title

Filtering Text in a Portal with a Partial Match

I've got two tables which I have related ALL records to one another.   I need a filter now to display those records from one table which  partially match the text from a field in the other table.

I have  one table with words.  I have another table with phrases.  In the layout  view of the words table, I want to see those records from the phrases  table in a portal which are filtered by the criteria that they contain  the word currently being displayed.  Unlike in a find where I would  simply type *"myword", I can't use that in the syntax of a filter.   What function can I use to accomplish this?  My table structures are:

WORDS

EnglishWord

SpanishWord

PHRASES

EnglishPhrase

SpanishPhrase

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Filtering Text in a Portal with a Partial Match
          Sorbsbuster

From memory, you can have matches by multiple values.  For example, the field with values A¶B¶C will show in a portal the related records in another table with A, B, or C in the related field.

So you could have in your phrases table a calculated field that the complements the PhraseField, with all of the spaces substituted with the ¶ character.  You may have to substitute some other characters, too.

Then link your WordField to that mirrored, calculated field.

(I hope my memory is correct - the only way I may have it wrong is that it may only work the other way around: A will match to A¶B¶C, but not vice-versa.)

• 2. Re: Filtering Text in a Portal with a Partial Match
            philmodjunk

Given your use of a * wildcard in your example, I think you would want "Apple" to match to all of the following:

Apple, Apples, AppleSauce, Crabapple.

If so, your filter expression can be this:

PatternCount ( PortalTable::PhraseField ; LayoutTable::WordField )

PatternCount will return 0 if WordField is not found in PhraseField.

This method only works with FileMaker 11.

• 3. Re: Filtering Text in a Portal with a Partial Match
              Sorbsbuster

Cody - did you mean to use the wildcard character?  If you did, you will get the results that PhilModJunk explains - ie: the pattern of letters could be buried inside a longer word.