1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2013 11:05 AM by philmodjunk

Filtering though drop down lists

FileMakerNovice

Title

Filtering though drop down lists

Hello,

I have been trying to search for how to use drop downs to filter a list.  I have a report that organized Product Name, Product ID, Location and Status.  This list has a subsummary to separate things into Product name.  

I would like to have pull downs at the top that would allow filtering.  For instance, I'd like to select location and it only show the items from that location.  I could further filter or remove that filter and filter other fields.

Is this done by custom find scripts and script triggers or is there an easier way to do it?

Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Filtering though drop down lists
          philmodjunk

If you are going to use the drop down to control what records are present in a list view report with sub summary layout parts, then yes, you need a script that both performs a find using the value selected in the drop down and which then sortst the found records into a sort order that makes the sub summary layout parts visible.

I'd use a global text field for that location drop down. Here's a thread that provides many different examples of simple scripts that use criteria in global fields in order to perform finds: Scripted Find Examples

Just be sure to sort your records after performing the find or the sub summary layout parts will disappear.