3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2012 10:38 AM by philmodjunk

Filtering Value Lists

EP

Title

Filtering Value Lists

I have a table that contains employee personnel files.  I have a field on a related table that uses a drop down value list where users can select an employee.  Is there a way to filter this list based on the "type" of employee?  Thanks

• 1. Re: Filtering Value Lists
          philmodjunk

These are called conditional value lists.

Here are some links about conditional value lists (including a demo file) that you can check out:

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

• 2. Re: Filtering Value Lists
            EP

Ok, I undertsand.  I don't think I am going to use a true "conditional" list because I don't want certain items to display based on what is selected in another field.  Let me explain in more detail what I'm trying to do:  I have a HR table that contains employee names, their title, position, etc.  On a different layout (different department) I have a dropdown list where I want to display ONLY employee names that are Dentists and Dental Assistants.  I don't want the list to contain Receptionists, Physicicians, Marketers, etc.  This will never change.  Am I still looking at conditional Value Lists, or is there some other methiod to only display the above 2 positions?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Filtering Value Lists
              philmodjunk

Yes, you are still looking at using a conditional value list.

Take a look at "option 1" in the Forum Tutorial link to see a method that does not require defining a relationship to do this. But do look at relationship based methods also. "Option 1", which uses a calcualtion field, is very easy to implment, but is also much less flexible than the more typical realtionship based approaches.