1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 19, 2010 10:20 AM by philmodjunk

Financial period comparison report

PaulChristie

Title

Financial period comparison report

Hello can someone help me please?

It is probably easier than I think but I can't quite get my head around this.

I run a manufacturing plant but sell to clients on a job to job basis.

I have tables for a job description (Job no, Customer details etc), Job parts detail (Multiple line items Qty, description etc.)

Naturally 1 customer can have many jobs with many line items in the detail.

I can generate reports with summary fields that show on single lines Customer name, Job total price for a given period.

So say for a date period of 1 month it will show for each customer the total dollar value of all jobs done in that period and show every customer in the found set .

E.G

Period, 10/2010

Name Total sales

Johns Metals $30,000

Pauls metals  $300,000.00

Etc

What I want to do is show comparative periods on the same report so we can have say the following

Name Oct Nov Dec

Johns metals $30,000 $20,000 $500

If anyone can help I would be much obliged

Thx, Paul

• 1. Re: Financial period comparison report
          philmodjunk

Here's a "month" calculation first posted by Comment that may prove useful to you:

cMonth : DateField - Day(DateField) + 1

This returns the date of the first day of the month for any date in datefield.

There are several ways that can be used to get your comparitive columns of data, but the details depend on the structure of your data.

If you have a Data table like this:

CompanyID (serialnumber)
          CompanyName
          MonthlyTotal (Number)
          cMonth
          DateField

Then a series of one row portals all based on this relationship:

ReportTable::CompanyID = Data::CompanyID  //sort relationship by cMonth

can be set up with the first row showing Row 1, the second showing row 2 and so forth to give monthly columns of data.

This is just one general approach, there are variations on this you may need to use depending on your data and your report's requirements.