3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2008 11:31 AM by rmanook

Find a text string between 2 delimiter characters

Lawrence2

Title

Find a text string between 2 delimiter characters

Hello, I need a way to find the string of text that is between 2 delimiter characters. For example, if a field contains: "New York is on the /Eastern/ seaboard" ; I need to find the string "Eastern" which is delimited by the forward slashes. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Find a text string between 2 delimiter characters
          rmanook

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for posting!  

Here's one way to do this:

Let's assume that we have a Test field (text) and a Test_c field (calc).  Set up your Test_c calculation so that it looks like the following (you can rename the variables in the Let function if you'd like, I just kept them as var 1/var 2 for a basic interpretation for this example):

Let ( [var 1 = Position ( Test ; "/" ; 1 ; 1 ) + 1 ; var 2 = Position ( Test ; "/" ; 1 ; 2 ) - var 1 ] ;

Middle ( Test ; var 1 ; var 2 ) ) 

Our calculation field will now pick up the first two occurrences of the "/" symbol and will give us the text string in between.  Hopefully this helps, let me know if there is anything else I can clarify for you.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Find a text string between 2 delimiter characters
            Lawrence2
               Thank you Turtle, may I ask if there is something special about the backslash? In your calculation "/" works fine, but when I change it to "\" I get an error.
            • 3. Re: Find a text string between 2 delimiter characters
              rmanook

Hi Lawrence,

Sorry, I was going off of the "New York is on the /Eastern/ seaboard" you had posted.  In a calculation, the backslash or '\' marks an operator character as just a character.  If you want to search for a backslash, modify the calculation so that it looks like this:

Let ( [var 1 = Position ( Test ; "\\" ; 1 ; 1 ) + 1 ; var 2 = Position ( Test ; "\\" ; 1 ; 2 ) - var 1 ] ;

Middle ( Test ; var 1 ; var 2 ) )  

This way, we're letting the calculation know that we're searching for the backslash as a character in your text string. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can clarify!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc.