2 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 3:13 PM by BrianClark

Find and export records - only the highest value in a category

BrianClark

Title

Find and export records - only the highest value in a category

Hi folks,

As a relative newcomer to FMP, I am trying to export some records and am having difficulty.....

2 of the tables in my database are:

MANUFACTURER [mName, contact email, contact name]  (approx 50 records)

PRODUCT [pID, pName, description, price, mName]  (approx 300 records)

So, a manufacturer makes many products.....

I want to export each manufacturers most expensive product, but only the top 10.

This is probably quite straight forward, but I just cant quite get my head around it!  Any help appreciated.  I am using FMP 12

Many thanks

Brian

• 1. Re: Find and export records - only the highest value in a category
          philmodjunk

Define a relationship matching Manufacturer to Product by mName (not how I would match records, manufacturers change their names just as people do--Id use a MfgID field.), but in that relationship, specify a sort order by Price in descending order. (double click relationship line and click the sort button.)

You may want to use separate Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?for this to keep existing relationships unmodified.

Define this calculation field, cTopTen, in Manufacturers:

LeftValues ( List ( Products::pID ) ; 10 ) // be sure to specify the table occurrence for Products from the same relationship where you specified the sort order.

Define a new relationship to a new occurrence of Products:

Manufacturers::cTopTen = Products|TopTen::pID

"Products|TopTen" is my name for a new table occurrence of Products.

Now you can use Go To Related Records with this relationship to pull up a found set of top 10 products for either one manufacturer, some manufacturers or all manufacturers.

And this then becomes a found set that you can export.

• 2. Re: Find and export records - only the highest value in a category
            BrianClark

thats really helpful!  Very much appreciated.... i was trying to use the max function, but was obviously so far off track!

I did find a similar walkthrough using access for a similar task here - http://www.databasedev.co.uk/access_max_function.html - and tried to translate it into FMP, but got totally confused :)