3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2009 12:18 PM by philmodjunk

Find and open related record from other layouts in a separate window?

ya

Title

Find and open related record from other layouts in a separate window?

Hi,

I have created an art collection database with a number of layouts for a variety of programs we have. Is it possible to write a script to call upon the related record across all layouts, and open the result in a separate window?

To be more specific:

There are layout A, B, C, D, and E in the file. Each layout has a set of fields that are specific to the program. The constants will be names (first and last) and work title. There are buttons on ever page allowing the user to switch through layouts (programs) upon a click. So far, the database works pretty well up to this point.

Since records in layout A are objects often relevant to projects in either layout B, C, D, or E, I would like to create a "View Related Record" button (in layout A only) and show the find result in a separate window. For example, if layout A-record 01 is relevant to layout B-record 09, the script should be able to locate and open that specific record in layout B in a separate window. If layout A-record 15  is relevant to layout C-record 29, the same action will be performed upon the click of a button.

So far, I can only succeed by making four separate buttons, each pointing to a specific layout (and they don't always work properly). 

Will you please let me know if my idea is feasible and how to??

Thank you very much!

Ya. 

• 1. Re: Find and open related record from other layouts in a separate window?
          davidanders

Possible object name confusion.

You mean you have one database?

You mean you have one table in that database?

You mean you have multiple layouts within that one table?

Manage Database and clicking the Table Tab will show how many tables. And how they are related.

If there is one database and one table and multiple layouts, a script step that includes Navigation > Go To Related Record should give you the desired result.

If there is one database and more than one table, you would need a relationship that would tie each table to each other. Manage Database > Relationship tab is where this is setup. 

• 2. Re: Find and open related record from other layouts in a separate window?
            ya

Sorry for the confusion.

There has multiple tables in one database. The relationship is created by linking the last name and work title.

And, thanks a lot for the tip! I was able to use the script to make a View Related Record page open in a separate window. Although there is still glitches that may have to do with typos, at least it is working now...

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Find and open related record from other layouts in a separate window?
              philmodjunk

If you are using windows, the new window option for GTRR will cause the original window to resize. You can use window commands to put the original window's size back to its original settings if windows were not maximized. If they're maximized, you can set the size back nearly maximized and then maximize windows when your new window is closed.

This doesn't eliminate the window twitching, but may be able to minimize it to a tolerable level.