2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2013 7:21 AM by philmodjunk

Find fields that match one value from a list

ChahidDouaihy

Title

Find fields that match one value from a list

Hi!

I'm using FMP Advanced 12 on Windows 8.

I have a simple FMP table (let's call it T) with about 100 Million records. I also have a list of values (let's call it L). These values are strings.

I'm trying to basically perform a search on one field of table T (let's call it F) containing strings, where I would like to keep only records for which F contains any one of the values listed in L.

Think of it as trying taking a phone book and searching for those who's last name is any one of 500 different predefined ones.

Any output in table format (I imagine a FMP table would be the obvious solution?) would be great.

I cannot seem to find a simple way to do so.

Any help please?

Thank you so much!

Best

• 1. Re: Find fields that match one value from a list
          JimMac

It would depend on the use of your Table F.  No table F is needed unless you want to save them for future use, independent of Table T.  A "OR" logic  Find command could work.

Jim...

• 2. Re: Find fields that match one value from a list
            philmodjunk

It also makes a difference on whether the text field "contain" the text--but alos has other text combined with the text or if the text is an exact match.

If you have a return separated list of values--like that produced with a check box field, and you want exactly match to any one of the listed values, you can define a relationship with L as the match field and then use Go To Related Records to pull up a found set of records where field F from Table T exactly matches one of the listed values. This is also an "OR" search like Jim mentioned but without performing a find.