4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2011 1:23 PM by Terri

find mode and where the arrow should be

annacaltech

Title

find mode and where the arrow should be

Hi,

I wonder if I could set which field the find mode should start in every time? Now every time I enter find mode the screen show me the lower left corner of the interface which is very irritating as I have to scroll up every time until I get to the field I want to search in. Almost all the times the field I use to search in is the same so if I can set the find mode to have the cursor there it would be great...

Thanks,

Anna 

• 1. Re: find mode and where the arrow should be
          philmodjunk

In FMP 10, you set set a script trigger on the layout to use Go To Field [yourtable::desiredstartfield] to automatically place the cursor in the same field each time the user enters browse mode.

Enter layout mode and bring up Layout Setup...

Click the Script Trigger tab and choose On Mode Enter

Select the above script and choose Find in the "Enable" in section.

• 2. Re: find mode and where the arrow should be
            Terri

Hi,

I know this is a very old question, but it is similar to mine. First, how does FM decide which field to be at when you enter find mode? Most of my layouts go to the right field without any script trigger. Even so, I created the script trigger you mentioned here and the cursor does go the right field, but I still have to scroll all the way to the left to get there. Just seems silly I guess.

Any suggestions?

• 3. Re: find mode and where the arrow should be
              philmodjunk

There's a Set Tab Order... dialog you can select from the Layouts Menu while in layout mode.

Old posts like this don't appear in the recent list like they should. You are more likely to get a response if you make a new post when the original post was more than 3 or 4 months old. You can include a link to the original thread if you want to refer to information inside that thread.

• 4. Re: find mode and where the arrow should be
                Terri

Thanks. I didn't realize the tab order also affected the "find" start. Changed that and now we are good to go.

Thanks! (And thanks for the info regarding older posts.)