7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 5:38 PM by KBGF75

Find problem in Web Publishing

KBGF75

Title

Find problem in Web Publishing

This is another FMP beginner's question. The FM7 file has two tables: Contacts (~40 fields) and Donations (10 fields). When a user accesses the file via a browser (IE7 or Firefox 3.0.7) and selects Find mode, he is not able to enter search data into 17 of the 40 Contacts fields. There's simply no cursor response when he tries to select one of those 17 fields. This problem occurs only in a particular layout, call it Layout A. In other layouts that include one or more of the 17 fields, the behavior seems normal.

Layout A includes all 40 fields of the Contacts table, plus a portal view of most Donations fields.

Most non-responsive fields were created about the same time. Most are text fields, a couple are numbers, one auto-enter. I've seen no field option choices that distinguish responsive from non-responsive fields. All other fields in both tables seem to behave normally in other modes, both in IWP and at the host PC.

Suggestions?

-Al

• 1. Re: Find problem in Web Publishing
          davidanders

Corruption can occur to a database file.

Solution - import data into known good backup database.

Corruption can occur to a layout.

Solution - create new layout.

Better Solution - create new layout in known good backup database.

• 2. Re: Find problem in Web Publishing
            philmodjunk

"Most non-responsive fields were created about the same time. Most are text fields, a couple are numbers, one auto-enter. I've seen no field option choices that distinguish responsive from non-responsive fields. All other fields in both tables seem to behave normally in other modes, both in IWP and at the host PC."

I wonder....

Can you enter the fields if you just work with this layout directly using FMP instead of the browser?

If you get the same behavior, there's a field format setting specific to the layout, where you can bar users from entering a field. This might explain what you're seeing. I don't have your version of fmp, so you may have to hunt around a bit for this setting, try right-clicking one of the fields while in layout mode and see what options you have.

In FMP 10, I can choose Field/Control | Behavior and get check boxes for "Allow field entry in browse mode" and "Allow field entry in Find Mode." I don't know how these settings affect behavior when IWP serves up the layout as a web page, but it's worth a look.

• 3. Re: Find problem in Web Publishing
              KBGF75

Can you enter the fields if you just work with this layout directly using FMP instead of the browser?

Yes, no problem entering data in any field when using FMP directly.

In FMP 10, I can choose Field/Control | Behavior and get check boxes for "Allow field entry in browse mode" and "Allow field entry in Find Mode." I don't know how these settings affect behavior when IWP serves up the layout as a web page, but it's worth a look.

The same field behavior check boxes are used in FMP7. They're all set to allow entry in both browse and find modes. Thanks for puzzling with me.

-Al

• 4. Re: Find problem in Web Publishing
                TSGal

KBGF75:

If you create a new Standard Layout, can the web clients perform a Find for all fields in this new layout?  If so, then your original layout may be corrupt.  If not, then possibly your access privileges for the account that the client logged in may have some restrictions.

Let's start with this first before starting down one of those paths.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Find problem in Web Publishing
                  KBGF75

More facts, previously unreported, concerning denial of Find access to certain fields in a particular table, in a particular file, while accessing via IWP/browser:

a. The problem is present only in the Form and List views. In Table view, all fields are accessible for a Find. 

b. New fields are "born" with the same problem.

c. The affected file is the latest in a series of duplications, each successive file an "improvement" on the predecessor.

d. In testing earlier files in the succession, the problem first appears when a second table was added. Predecessors were flat files. 

e. That second table was added by a colleague on a different PC.

It's starting  to look like I may have to copy the last "good" file, then add tables/layouts to make it current, and finally import current data.

-Al

• 6. Re: Find problem in Web Publishing
                    KBGF75

I created a new layout, added all fields that are in the troublesome layout (except a portal view), and found that a web client can access all fields for a Find. I'll add the portal and test again, then refine the new layout and ditch the bad one. Then I'll report a solution.  Thanks much!

-Al

• 7. Re: Find problem in Web Publishing
                      KBGF75

The trouble seems to have been caused by a corrupted layout, as simply creating a new layout has solved the problem. Thanks again to all contributors.

-Al