3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 10:19 AM by philmodjunk

Find Record and Maintain List

brodlang

Title

Find Record and Maintain List

I have a form with a found set of sorted doors displayed in a list.  I want to create a field "Go To Door No."  in which users will enter the door number they want and it will find it in the list and and make it the active record.  Easy enough if I want only the found door, but I want to maintain the complete list (for the Project currently found).  Displaying the previous found set with the door wanted as the active record is where I'm getting stuck.

• 1. Re: Find Record and Maintain List
          philmodjunk

Define a self join relationship between your layout's table and a new table occurrence with the same data source table. Set up a global field that your user uses to enter a door number as the match field to the door number field in your relationship. Use Go to Related Records, but without the "Show Only Related Records" option specified and if your door record is part of the current found set, it will be come the new current record but leave your found set unchanged.

Another option would be to open a new window or change to a new layout to show the selected record. You would close the window or return from the other layout return to your found set.

To keep the found set on a given layout unchanged do one of these:

1. Perform a find or a Go to Related Records on a different window.
          3. Do the same but specify a layout based on a different table occurrence with the same data source table.
          5. Define the new "list of" summary field to list the primary keys. Save this list by using set field to copy the list to a global field. After making changes to your found set, you can use a self join with this global field as the match field to bring back the previous found set.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 2. Re: Find Record and Maintain List
            brodlang

Thanks again, Phil.  My brain's not wired for this and it took be a bit to get the relationship right, but the GTRR works like a charm.

• 3. Re: Find Record and Maintain List
              philmodjunk

Note that if the record you are going to isn't in the found set, this GTRR does the equivalent of a "find all" before putting the focus on the specified record.