3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 9:47 PM by philmodjunk

Find Record Number by Field Data/sort order.

KerryMiller

Title

Find Record Number by Field Data/sort order.

I'm looking to add a conditional Go To Record script that is based on field data.

For this I have a few things set up:

A global value of what our current Live "Season" is (a date number calculated by converting an abstract date into a numerical one)

All Records have a field with the Release Season (similar method, abstract date converted to numerical date)

I'm looking to find the lowest Record Number for a given season based on the current sort order.

I know how it would work, but my scripting skills are not the best:

Sort Records

Get lowest Record Number whose Release Season field matches Live Season Global Value.

• 1. Re: Find Record Number by Field Data/sort order.
          philmodjunk

If you are sorting in ascending order, go to record [first] would take you to that record. In descending order, Go to Record [last] will.

• 2. Re: Find Record Number by Field Data/sort order.
            KerryMiller

So If I have it look for Get (Field Value) [First] it will select what I want?

EG:

I'm looking to select the first Record in the Beta Group for the given sort:

List of things:

George - Alpha

Greg - Alpha

Harry - Alpha

Greg - Beta

Kim - Beta

Larkin - Delta

Jim - Delta

The script will select Greg:

List of things:

George - Alpha

Greg - Alpha

Harry - Alpha

Greg - Beta <--Select this Record

Kim - Beta

Larkin - Delta

Jim - Delta

• 3. Re: Find Record Number by Field Data/sort order.
              philmodjunk

I recommended Go to Record/Request/Page [First]

Once the focus is on that record, you can access the value of any field in that record by name.

Similar things can be managed via a sorted relationship to access the related record with the smallest or largest value.

I'm looking to select the first Record in the Beta Group for the given sort:

Any reason why you can't perform a find for that Beta group and then sort just it? Likewise a relationship or ExecuteSQL query can specify or link to only the Beta group. And you can perform the find in a second hidden window or in a different layout (based on a different occurrence of the same table) if you want to keep the current found set intact while working with sub groups of the same.

You can also set a script to start with the first record and then it can loop through the records until it reaches the first record in the Beta group.