3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2008 1:41 PM by TSGal

Find records using an imported list

file4art

Title

Find records using an imported list

This is what I want:

I have a database with records with names and adresses of all my collegues.

In some projects ony half of them work. I get a list with the surenames of the 'workers'. Now I want to sort my database to show only the people on that list. 

How can I do this? (Where do I find this in the manual?)

Thanks 

• 1. Re: Find records using an imported list
          TSGal

file4art:

Thank you for your post.

Pull down the Records menu and select "Sort Records..."

A new dialog box appears, prompting you to select records from the fields specified on the left hand side, and move them over to the right hand side (Sort Order).  Select if you want the field ascending (A to Z), descending (Z to A) or a custom order.

If you need additional information, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Find records using an imported list
            file4art

This is not the solution.

I have in my filemakerfile all the names, adresses etc. from my collegues.

From the managaement team I get a exported list with the surnames of the people that work in a certain project. Now I would like to export only the adresses from the people that work. 

Thanks for helping! 

• 3. Re: Find records using an imported list
              TSGal

file4art:

Thanks for the clarification.

Is this exported list a physical copy (paper) or is the list in a text file?  FileMaker file?

If this is in a FileMaker file, then you can create a relationship between the two tables via a common "key" field.  Then, in your master file, include a portal into the other table/file showing some of the related fields.  You can then create a calculation field with the formula:

Count (related field name)

If you search this calculation for a value greater than 0 (zero), that means this value is included in the list from management.  You can then export this list.

Does that help?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.