10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 4:34 PM by philmodjunk

Find requests in script missing

GregJones

Title

Find requests in script missing

Using FMP12 on a Mac - 

I was editing a script to change the find request used in a Perform Find but, when I double click on the Perform Find the Specify Find Requests window is empty.  The script still works so it knows the find criteria but it doesn't show.  Many (but not all) of my scripts have the same symptom.

Help?

• 1. Re: Find requests in script missing
          philmodjunk

It's entirely possible for a Perform Find script step to not have any stored criteria: Scripted Find Examples

• 2. Re: Find requests in script missing
            GregJones

These scripts were written with stored find requests and they still execute using them but, when I try to edit them they aren't there.

Script, Find Requests, Report correctly executed w/3/17/2015 date.

• 3. Re: Find requests in script missing
              philmodjunk

Have you changed anything recently such as moving to a new Mac?

Do you see any other issues where windows or dialogs are popping up blank?

Can you open this file on a different Machine and see if that makes any difference?

You might also try running a recover on the file to see if it is damaged. If you do, inspect your scripts on the recovered copy even if Recover does not report finding/correcting any issues.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
              3. Recover does not detect all problems
              5. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              7. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 4. Re: Find requests in script missing
                GregJones

Thanks for the suggestion.  I recovered the file and it did find many problems and warned me that problems were detected and the recovered file should not be used.  The Find Requests, however, still aren't in the recovered file.  I have not changed computers recently.  I did install Yosemite a couple of months ago and that could be concurrent with the issue.  I'm not sure how long it has been like this.  I don't have FMP installed on another computer so I can't try that.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg

• 5. Re: Find requests in script missing
                  philmodjunk

Sounds like your file is badly damaged and that recover did not fully restore the damage.

• 6. Re: Find requests in script missing
                    PhilipRand_1

On the subject of find requests, I have had 4 scripts each seeking out data from a given bank in a given year. In the script I have inserted "Go to Layout" then layout specified.  Then I have set up "Perform research". In three cases, the scripts have beautifully given me the correct bank (based on the bank ID specified in my research) as well as the sought after data (Maximum sum for 2015). The fourth script gives me the layout pages for the desired bank BUT ALSO two pages from a bank I do not want. I have tried redoing the script several times, but the result is the same. I performed a quick search for the desired bank and FMP13 again gave me the pages concerning the desired bank for 2015 but also two pages from an undesired bank. 
                    Logically, the problem must lie in the search function, but I have checked the entries, it all seems unexplainable to me. 
                    I tried a stratagem: in the perform script menu, after specifying the year of reference, I added .AND. NOT (to exclude the ID of Bank B) Fmp13 accepted the phrase, but I still got the same result: Bank A calculations as desired, but also two undesired pages from Bank B. 
                    Forgive an amateur for this elementary query, with thanks in advance. 

• 7. Re: Find requests in script missing
                      philmodjunk

This question isn't really appropriate for this particular thread. It would have been better started as the first question of a brand new thread. It would then have been seen by more people--once you get a thread of this length the number of people looking at usually is limited to the originator plus the person trying to help them.

There are any number of reasons why your efforts at a scripted find are failing--from issues with your data, the design of your tables and layouts--You seem to have different layouts for different banks and that seems unusual, or the details of your script which are not shared in your previous post. I suggest that you

a) post your script--feel free to start a new thread if you want.

To post a script to the forum:

1. You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post a New Answer.
                      3. You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
                      5. If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
                      7. If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.

b) Describe your data model. What tables are involved. What relationships--in particular, how does a record in one table link to a record or records in another?

• 8. Re: Find requests in script missing
                        PhilipRand_1

Apologies for the mistaken thread, but your response offers some extremely valuable assistance for many functions. I thought of including the information you mentioned in the original query, but the problematic script was identical to the other three mentioned, except for the bank ID used to connect the files. As a result, if three of the four scripts were working, it did not occur to me to seek a solution to the described problem in the data base structure. It seemed to me as if something in the file may have been corrupted, but, at the same time, there was a warning in this forum to the effect that a restored file might have problems of its own. 
                        Now, I have discovered a forum in Italian, so, armed with your wisdom I'll pursue that since my FMP 13 program is in Italian, I can prepare a more coherent query, enhanced by your advice. A great many thanks. 

• 9. Re: Find requests in script missing
                          GregJones

I discovered what happened and it's really strange.  I was in the process of putting the find requests back in.  When I checked to make sure they were staying there, they were not.  I happened to resize the Specify Find Requests window and pow, they were all there!  It consistently exhibits this behavior:

If the window is minimum size the find request will be 'hidden' out of view at the top of the window. (even though there is room for >10 lines)

If I make the window larger, it will come into view.

Thanks anyway.

• 10. Re: Find requests in script missing
                            philmodjunk

This is actually a known bug for Mac users with Yosemite. Some dialogs open with the window scrolled to not show all the data.

I didn't recognize if from your original description