1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 12:33 PM by marcusedward

Find Script Help

anicolais

Title

Find Script Help

Ok I have a database full of different records. Some of the records have the same contact names but they are a different project. I am trying to create a button that when clicked will search the database for the names on the current record but will find the different projects that they are involved with. The fields are Owner_Name, Rep_Name, and Dev_Name.

Thanks!!!!

• 1. Re: Find Script Help
          marcusedward

If the names in each type of field only appear in that field (i.e. john smith only appears in owner_name but not rep_name or Dev_name). You script would look like this...

set variable [$owner; yourtable::owner_name] 

set variable [$rep; yourtable::rep_name]

set variable [$dev; yourtable::dev_name] 

enter find mode (do not pause)

set field [yourtable::owner_name ; $owner] 

new record / request 

set field [yourtable::rep_name ; $rep] 

new record / request 

set field [yourtable::dev_name ; $dev]  

perform find

This would find any project that contained the names listed the project that the script was started from.  Then you would just need to add a sort to the end of your script so the result was in the order required.

As another approach you could also add 3 table occurances of the same table and connect them as

yourtable::owner_name = owner list::owner_name

yourtable::rep_name = rep list::rep_name

yourtable::dev_name = dev list::dev_name 

then add 3 portals to your layout for each table occurance.  This would provide a list of all three catagories projects where the names matched.  In the portals you could add a go to related record button on the name of the project to navigate to it.   

If Joe Smith appears in any of the 3 fields the find script would get a bit more complicated (but not too bad) and the portal approach wouldn't work 

Hope this is helpful,

Marcus