7 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 5:13 AM by philmodjunk

Find within a portal

weedonpaul

Title

Find within a portal

I have a layout based on a table Lines. within it there is a portal based upon table occurrence of Lines called Lines_Portal. this portal shows all Lines entered  which is what I want. Now the problem:

I have a button on the layout lines called find. it triggers a script that opens a new window with a layout based on lines_Portal and it goes into find mode, but when I click on the drop down arrows in the fields it doesn't show anything from my value lists. more importantly though is the fact that when I fill in the fields manually and preform find nothing happens to the portal?

Can you help??

P.s when I hit return key in this forum it takes the curser back up to the top. is that common or just me?

• 1. Re: Find within a portal
          philmodjunk

but when I click on the drop down arrows in the fields it doesn't show anything from my value lists.

and what kind of value lists?

when I fill in the fields manually and preform find nothing happens to the portal?

Why would performing a find in one window have any effect at all on what records appear in a portal? That's not how portals' work. Portals show all related records as controlled by the match fields you select in the underlying relationship. This set of records can the be further reduced by setting up a portal filter. performing a find in another window or just on another layout has no effect on that process.

when I hit return key in this forum it takes the curser back up to the top. is that common or just me?

Sounds like you are using Safari to access this browser. Put a space or other character to the right of the browser and pressing return will not jump the cursor back up to the top. Annoying but true.

• 2. Re: Find within a portal
            weedonpaul

The value list uses values from another table "names of clients"

I have  particular look to my layouts with buttons set up on the layout that follow a theme, having the layout in list view would mess this up. so I have put a portal that shows all records, Basically a self look up with the relationship lineID X LineID.

Could I make the filter on the portal dynamic? If I could some how get search criteria from user and then filter portal?

Final yes I am using safari and thanks for the tip:-) 

• 3. Re: Find within a portal
              philmodjunk

The value list uses values from another table "names of clients"

And what specific options, besides "use values from field" have you specified for this value list?

Search portals are quite possible. I use them all the time. See the following demo file for several working examples and detailed info on how to set them up and how they work:

"Adventures In FileMaking #2 - Enhanced Value Selection"

• 4. Re: Find within a portal
                weedonpaul

the value list does work, it shows Client_name, but the lists are Clien_ID. the problem I noticed is that I have a field over the top of the search field that displays the client name (hiding the Client ID once found) for some reason it's not displaying the client name in find mode, but it is in browse mode.

grrrrrr

thanks for your help 

• 5. Re: Find within a portal
                  philmodjunk

If you select your values from a global field while in browse mode and use a script to perform a find using the values in a global field to build the find criteria, this shouldn't happen if your relationships are correctly set up. But this method of finding records to show in a portal won't work anyway without capturing a list of ID's and bringing them back to the original layout where the list of ID's serves as a match field for the portal.

• 6. Re: Find within a portal
                    weedonpaul

Ok

It's clear that I have gone down a wrong path here, with that in mind I am going to change to list view. I have attached a copy of my layout, and wouldn't mind a few pointers.

I would like to keep the buttons at the top, and the footer always within the window?

• 7. Re: Find within a portal
                      philmodjunk

And what is your question? Where do you encounter a problem using list view? Keep in mind that you haven't described the underlying data model (the tables and relationships) on which your design is based.