3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 10:08 AM by flynam

Find/New Record function disable in a layout

flynam

Title

Find/New Record function disable in a layout

Hi there,

Is there any way that I can disable the Find Record and New Record functions for a particular layout? I have certain layouts that should only have one record in the table associated with them. I use these layouts as navigation windows (they display portals listed records in a linked table) and thus the user should not be able to perform a Find Record or New Record request when in these layouts.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Frank

• 1. Re: Find/New Record function disable in a layout
          ninja

Howdy,

If there's only one record, there's no issue with finding is there?

Accounts and Privileges can be set to disallow creation of records in that Table on a 'per Privilege Set' basis.

If the find is a serious fear, you can mark all fields in Field Behavior to not be enterable in Find Mode.

• 2. Re: Find/New Record function disable in a layout
            mrvodka
               You can control this with accounts and privileges. Also if you have advanced, you can control with custom menus.
            • 3. Re: Find/New Record function disable in a layout
              flynam

Thanks. That seems to sort out the New Record problem. However I'm still stuck with the user being able to enter Find mode. Specifically my problem is that when the DB is accessed via IWP and the user enters the Find mode when in one of the "main" layouts (i.e. the ones that only list records from other linked tables) the main portal is cleared and the user becomes confused about what is going on. I don't have FileMaker Pro Advanced but would its menu manipulation feature be able to solve this (for example by hiding the Find button in IWP)?

Thanks for the help.

Frank