3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 9:53 AM by philmodjunk

Find/search does not find everything

MaxineCooper

Title

Find/search does not find everything

Help please.

I everyone.  I am new at Filemaker Pro 12 and also about getting into the back of filemaker.

We have a field where we can type words.  eg finding a cient called ready press print limited.  We used to be able to type 'ready press' and our name would show up.  With the upgrade we can't even find our own name when we type 'ready'  and can only be found with 're' and obviously the list can be large.  But you also get names that don't even have 're' in there name.

Also - think this i realated, but don't know-  we can do a search on one computer and find the name eg 'fairburn' then go to another computer and that name does not show up in the list even when noone else is on filemaker.

If anyone can help that would be great.  The person who created the database no longer works here.

• 1. Re: Find/search does not find everything
          davidanders

Is there one computer that is running Filemaker all the time? The server? Is that where the database is kept?

When you open Filemaker do you have the database on your computer, or do you choose Open Remote under the File Menu?

Windows or Mac?  All Filemaker version 12?

• 2. Re: Find/search does not find everything
            MaxineCooper

Hi Thanks for your help.

We have one computer running Filemaker  Server 12, and 5 other computer running filemaker pro 12.  (We were running 9 on all machines and server 11 on the main server.)

We have a face plate that should be looking at the server to find info and make changes.

If I want to change how things work, that is when I need to open remote.

We are on max OS X

I don't even know if the conversion has happened correctly.  On filemaker Server 11 when I looked up the databases there were ticks to say everything is correct.  This just has grey dots.

• 3. Re: Find/search does not find everything
              philmodjunk

Two possible explanations come to mind and I'm guessing that DavidAnders is thinking along similar lines by his questions:

You may have more than one copy of the database file and thus the data can be found only when a particular copy of the file is searched. If your "faceplate" is a FIleMaker File on the local machine that is intended to link to a file on the server with external data source links, I'd check that file's references on the different computers to make sure all refer to the same exact copy of the file.

You may have a damaged index on one or more fields. A damaged index can produce erratic results such as you describe here.

To rebuild the index of a single field:

1.           Open Manage | Database | Fields and double click the field
              3.           Use either the storage tab or the storage options button to turn off indexing.
              5.           Exit Manage | Database, then return and turn indexing back on.

You can also rebuild all your file's indexes by importing all the data into an empty copy (clone) of your file.

If you have FileMaker 11 or newer, you can use Advanced Recovery options to rebuild your file's indexes:

1.           With the file closed, select Recover from the File Menu.
              3.           Select "Use advanced Options"
              5.           Select only: "Copy File Blocks as-is" and "Rebuild Field Indexes Now".