AnsweredAssumed Answered

Finding a range of numbers between two fields, and populating each number within that range into a...

Question asked by happyez on May 11, 2011
Latest reply on May 14, 2011 by happyez

Title

Finding a range of numbers between two fields, and populating each number within that range into a third field

Hello Filemaker people

Hopefully someone may help with this predicament of mine.

I have two fields which list demographic ages - <min> and <max>. If someone is marketing towards 17-25 year olds, the number '17' goes into <min> and the number '25' goes into <max>.

What I would like to do is find the full list of number between and including <min> and <max>, and then populate each number into a third field <range>. In the above case, the record in <range> would have been populated with the numbers "17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25" that would appear as a string of text.

My idea was possibly:

- set up a counter in a new field called <counter>, which adds '1' to <min>. When it reaches the value in <max>, it stops.

- do some sort of paste action into <range>, which allows it to append onto the end of the field, the number in <counter>

But I ended up going around in circles.

I want to put each number in that range in the one field, rather than creating a new record for each number, so I don't have to deal with 100,000s of new records!

I've looked through different forums, and haven't had much luck in regards to this particular example.

I would love to get some feedback.

Thanks for your time (in advance!)

Eric Vigo

Outcomes