7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 8:00 AM by jchowchow

Finding all the scripts being used on a certain layout

jchowchow

Title

Finding all the scripts being used on a certain layout

I'm using a template from Filelmaker pro 12, and there is definitely a script that is attached to something, but I can't seem to specify it or find where it is located.  The reason I know there is a script is because whenever I click on that general area, it moves to another layout, but the script seems to span over a large area and isn't attached to a single button.  Is there a simple way just to look at all the scripts being used on a certain layout because right clicking everywhere isn't working ....?   I hope this makes sense.  

• 1. Re: Finding all the scripts being used on a certain layout
          philmodjunk

Do you have FileMaker Advanced? The database design report that you can create with Advanced could be used for this purpose.

Is the large area you are clicking inside a tab control? If so, there may be a script trigger set on the tab control. In FileMaker 12, you can enter layout mode and look for the little script trigger icon in the bottom right corner of the layout object.

And clicking a blank area of a layout commits the current record if it is open for editing. There is a layout script trigger that can be tripped when the record is committed. You can open Layout setup.. to check for layout script triggers.

• 2. Re: Finding all the scripts being used on a certain layout
            jchowchow

Yes, I have Filemaker Advanced.  I previously did open up layout setup and found a script trigger, but I don't think it's the script I'm looking for.  How do I go about making a design report?  

• 3. Re: Finding all the scripts being used on a certain layout
              SteveMartino

Database Design Report is under Tools>Database Design Report (unless it was changed or removed via custom menus).

Regarding your original post, is this regarding the Expense Starter Solution?  The 'script spanning over a large layout' is most likely a large invisible button set with a Go to Related Record scipt attached to it.  Try going to Edit Layout on that particular layout and right clicking next to but not into a text field where it resides.    You should see a large box covering the fields with the 6 handles on it (little boxes in the corners and top and bottom in the middle).  Right click will open a menu box.  Then go into 'Button Setup', or 'Script Trigger' to see if there is a script attached to it

• 4. Re: Finding all the scripts being used on a certain layout
                jchowchow

Yes, I think you are right.  I'm looking at the Design Report right now, but I definitely think that I'm dealing with the invisible button that you were talking about.  That seems to be the only logical answer.  However, I tried right clicking outside the text fields, and can't find the 6 handled box.  But then, the fields have a wierd format to begin with.  They have  << >> around them.   

• 5. Re: Finding all the scripts being used on a certain layout
                  jchowchow

YES!!! I FOUND THE INVISIBLE BUTTON.  I extended the borders of the button, then used the inspector to make the borders solid lines.  Then, I double clicked on the lines, and sure enough the script that I was looking for came out.  VICTORY!!! bwahahhaha

Thank you guys for helping me out!  

• 6. Re: Finding all the scripts being used on a certain layout
                    philmodjunk

the fields have a wierd format to begin with.  They have  << >> around them. 

These are merge fields. Merge fields are read only and you can include several merge fields with layout text in a single block and they will seemlessly flow together. To add a merge field to your layout, select the text tool and click your layout where you want to see the field, then select the option for a merge field from the Insert Menu.

• 7. Re: Finding all the scripts being used on a certain layout
                      jchowchow

thanks for the info!