3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2010 6:45 AM by Polarpro

Finding an "exact value" in a field

Polarpro

Title

Finding an "exact value" in a field

Hey,

I've got a field that can contain several values. The vales are separated by carriage returns.

In record #1 the field contains

002 A¶

002A¶

In record #2 the field contains

002 A¶

002A

My problem is that when searching for 002 both records match (as in record #2 002 is a part of 002 A). So, my question is: What can I do to search only for those records that contain exactly the value 002? =002 doesn't help and ==002 doesn't help either, as the latter searches only for records where the whole field content matches. "=002" didn't work either.

I wonder if the only way to get done what I need is to add a  at the end of the last value in a field and search for "002¶".

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot  :-)  Mike

• 1. Re: Finding an "exact value" in a field
          gczychi

HI,

if you are inside a script, try to add a carriage return character to the search string:

"searchstring" & char(13)

(as far as I know, FileMaker still works with the old Macintosh cr character and not with the new unix line feeds (char(10))

That should work.

Gary

• 2. Re: Finding an "exact value" in a field
            Polarpro

Thank you,

but in my case it does not seem to work. I tried to add both Char(13) and the "real" carriage return ().

(Also tried to add Returns both at the beginning and at the end.)

• 3. Re: Finding an "exact value" in a field
              Polarpro

Hey,

It seems as I've found a solution that works. I use the FilterValues function for it.

For this, I first created a value list that contains all the values of the field. I call this value list "FieldValues". Then, in my script I have a step that says

If

IsEmpty ( FilterValues ( ValueListItems ( Get ( FileName ) ; "FieldValues" ) ; "002" ) )

Then...

If 002 is not an element of this value list, then the script does certain script steps, if not, then other steps are being processed.

Thanks again!

Mike