2 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2013 8:12 AM by dscott23

Finding current records based on user input

dscott23

Title

Finding current records based on user input

When a customer calls in we need to enter their name..first and last...we need to see if they are already in our DB...so a list of "John Smith's" needs to show up that includes city, state, age so the we can go to the correct record, rather than create a duplicate.

Can someone point me to a solution?  I know I've seen it work, someone demo'd this concept at a developers meeting last year.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Finding current records based on user input
          philmodjunk

One way is to simply enter find mode, type in the name and perform the find.

This can also be set up with a script such that the user types a name into a global field and then the script takes that data and performs the find. With the script, it can use Get ( FoundCount ) to count the number of found records and switch to a list view layout if there are multiple matching records.

See this thread for an example of scripted finds that work from criteria entered into global fields: Scripted Find Examples

There are also other methods for searching your database where you enter a portion of the person's name and select from the resulting list of matching records displayed in a portal.

• 2. Re: Finding current records based on user input
            dscott23

I found what I believe is a good start here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHNYkxKZZrI

I was able to follow and create his solution in a test DB...now I have to work on transfering this over to my  real DB....and adjusting from there.