8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 9:42 AM by adoseofpain

Finding data in a cluster of fields.

adoseofpain

Title

Finding data in a cluster of fields.

Hello, I'm currently working with Filemaker Pro 10's trial to see if I can do a layout for the company I work for. We have a variety of layouts needed, but that's not the main focus of  this message. We currently use NUTSHELL in DOS via virtual PC, and as an example, when we select a cell which contains multiple unique fields, and we search, it draws data from all of those unique cells when you search, regardless of where you input the search target in that cell cluster.

I was curious if there was some type of functonality like that in Filemaker Pro Advanced? The reason I have a cluster of different fields mentioned is because when I hit enter in one enlarged field, it won't drop me down to the next line. We also need to be able to edit each line individually, which is why I went for the multiple field approach.

To make it short, I need help with any of the two things:

Can I group a bunch of different fields together and during a "Find", can I search for a specific bit of data inside the collective pool of the fields by inputting it any where in the group?

Or is there a way to have an enlarged data field have different selectable lines with all of them viewable at the same time, and is it possible to be able to do this without screwing up the formatting in the single field?

I appreciate any help I can get.

• 1. Re: Finding data in a cluster of fields.
          philmodjunk

In filemaker to search multiple fields for the same text, you can try Find/Replace in the edit menu. There are also several ways to script the searching of multiple fields.

"The reason I have a cluster of different fields mentioned is because when I hit enter in one enlarged field, it won't drop me down to the next line."

Pressing enter (on the main keyboard--not the numeric key pad) should move you to the next line within a text field unless you have changed the behavior of the field to make that key stroke advance you to the next field. If you want the numeric keypad Enter key to start a new line, you can write a script that fires when the OnObjectKeystroke event is triggered that inserts a return into your file whenever the key is pressed.

Another alternative to consider carefully is to set up a portal of multiple records from a related table you create to store your multiple lines of text. This option will allow you to perform regular finds by entering criteria in one field of the portal and it will search that field in all the portal rows.

• 2. Re: Finding data in a cluster of fields.
            adoseofpain

PhilModJunk wrote:

In filemaker to search multiple fields for the same text, you can try Find/Replace in the edit menu. There are also several ways to script the searching of multiple fields.

"The reason I have a cluster of different fields mentioned is because when I hit enter in one enlarged field, it won't drop me down to the next line."

Pressing enter (on the main keyboard--not the numeric key pad) should move you to the next line within a text field unless you have changed the behavior of the field to make that key stroke advance you to the next field. If you want the numeric keypad Enter key to start a new line, you can write a script that fires when the OnObjectKeystroke event is triggered that inserts a return into your file whenever the key is pressed.

Another alternative to consider carefully is to set up a portal of multiple records from a related table you create to store your multiple lines of text. This option will allow you to perform regular finds by entering criteria in one field of the portal and it will search that field in all the portal rows.

Few questions.

How would I set up the script so that it enters the return into the field when it is pressed, and do you know of any tutorials to help me with these types of things? I'm very new to this.

• 3. Re: Finding data in a cluster of fields.
              philmodjunk

I've been using filemaker for so many years that I have no practical experience with any third party books or tutorials curently available. Such resources do exist and others may chime in with their personal recommendations. There are several such books available through Amazon and you can check out reader reviews to see if they look like a good option for you.

You can also check out things in Filemaker's Help system. It has many shortcomings but still has a lot of useful information. I've just finished referring to the help system in order to get the details right for the following script:

If [ Code ( Get(TriggerKeystroke) ) = 10 /* keypad enter was pressed */ ]

Insert Calculated Result [¶]  // Clear the select check box and don't select a target field

Exit Script [ Result: False ]

End If

In layout mode, select any field where you want this action enabled and specify the OnObjectKeystroke trigger.

Note: Not selecting a target field enables the same script to work with multiple fields. The carriage return will be inserted at the insertion point. Any selected text will be replaced by the carriage return.

• 4. Re: Finding data in a cluster of fields.
                adoseofpain

Thanks for that little bit right there. As for the portal, what do you recommend for an alternative so I can try different methods out and see which of them all work the best for the situation I'm in?

• 5. Re: Finding data in a cluster of fields.
                  philmodjunk

It's hard to recommend anything as I know so little about your database and what you need it to do.

If you want to try out portals and this is a new subject, you can start with the help system. It has some pretty good information on portals.

• 6. Re: Finding data in a cluster of fields.
                    adoseofpain

I'll do that. One thing, though. When I went to make that script, for exit it would not accept Result: False in the specification. Am I doing something incorrectly?

• 7. Re: Finding data in a cluster of fields.
                      philmodjunk

Just enter False, filemaker supplies the "result:" after you click OK.

• 8. Re: Finding data in a cluster of fields.
                        adoseofpain

Oooooh. I think this actually might work out, sir. Thank you very much for your assistance. I'm going into this a newbie to this program, and programming in general, same with database creation, but learning will be a good thing for me to do.

Thanks!