4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2011 10:22 AM by ChadDoss

Finding Date Range Issue

ChadDoss

Title

Finding Date Range Issue

I am having an issue with finding a certain date range,  the problem seems to reside with 3/1/11 as part of the find.   The find i am looking for is in a Date field that is entered automatically by creation date.   I am entering 3/1/11...3/31/11 and when i find i get all kinds of additional records.   I was able to narrow the search by trying a few things and process of elimination and found the issue to be with the 3/1/11 date.   If i do a search by 3/2/11...3/31/11 everything pulls just fine.  At this point I am unsure as to what is causing the issue with the March 1st dates.  I have double checked that the field is a date field and the formatting is set the same across the board.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why one date is throughing this all off?  

Thanks!

Chad

• 1. Re: Finding Date Range Issue
          philmodjunk

Two things to check:

Make sure your field is of type date. If it is of type text, it will look correct, but finds and sorts will fail. You can check this in Manage | Database | Fields.

The field's index may be corrupted. To rebuild the index of a single field, open Manage | Database | Fields and double click the field definition.

1. Use either the storage tab or the storage options button to turn off indexing.
          2. Exit Manage | Database, then return and turn indexing back on.
          3. You can also rebuild all your file's indexes by importing all the data into an empty copy (clone) of your file.

If you have FileMaker 11, you can use Advanced Recovery options to rebuild your file's indexes:

1. With the file closed, select Recover from the File Menu.
          2. Select "Use advanced Options"
          3. Select only: "Copy File Blocks as-is" and "Rebuild Field Indexes Now".
          • 2. Re: Finding Date Range Issue
            ChadDoss

I double checked that the field is in deed a Date field.   I also used the recovery options to rebuild the indexes with Filemaker 11.   

I am still having the same issue,  any more suggestions?

Thansk,

Chad

• 3. Re: Finding Date Range Issue
              philmodjunk

Run a full up recover of your file to see if it is damaged. Even if no trouble is found, test the recovered copy to see if it works correctly in this area.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
              2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

• 4. Re: Finding Date Range Issue
                ChadDoss

Thank you for all of your help, I just located the issue.  It was some corrupt data that someone had entered.  Once I cleared that out everything is working fine again.

Thanks,

Chad