3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 2:17 PM by philmodjunk

finding foreign characters in a field

mattb

Title

finding foreign characters in a field

(I'm using FMP11 Advanced for Macintosh)

I have fields in a table that contain CHAR(196) characters - screenshot attached.  I would like to be able to use the Find function to locate instances of this character wherever they are in the table.  How do I do this?  

CHAR%28196%29.png

• 1. Re: finding foreign characters in a field
          philmodjunk

Manual finds or scripted?

In a script you can use set field with Char ( 196 ) to put the character as search criteria into a field.

Manual searches using such characters gets a bit trickier.

• 2. Re: finding foreign characters in a field
            mattb

Manual finds or scripted?

In a script you can use set field with Char ( 196 ) to put the character as search criteria into a field.

Manual searches using such characters gets a bit trickier.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Phil:

Ultimately what I need to do is use a script to find this character (actually 3 characters as shown in the screenshot:  the comma, the char(196) and whatever char() the next character turns out to be) wherever they appear in the table and replace them with a single character, that being the single quote or apostrophe:  (').  How would you suggest I go about doing this?  I'm doing an XML data conversion project into FMP and this is the way the data comes in.  Thanks...

Matt B.

• 3. Re: finding foreign characters in a field
              philmodjunk

Try using Replace field contents with this calculation:

Substitute ( YourTable::TextField ; "," & Char ( 196) & Char ( 212 ) ; "'" )

That updates a single field across all records in your table.

If you have this to fix in multiple fields, you can probably use

Perform Find/Replace in a script to do that. You'd use "," & Char ( 196) & Char ( 212 ) as the replace text and "'" as the replace with text.