4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2011 10:05 PM by mwilson

finding records

AussiePete

Title

finding records

Well I have got the database up and running but have hit a couple of snags. 

The database is a contact list with fields that include name and email. everything worked fine for a while. 

But now when I do a find by pasting an email address in the email field I get a message telling me that there are no records that match that critera.

But if I do a search on the persons name I find that there is in fact an email address that matches the one I pasted. The same thing happens if I type the whole email address.

Any suggestions as to what I did wrong? 

• 1. Re: finding records
          mrvodka

Try something like:

John\@yahoo.com

• 2. Re: finding records
            edusouza

Hello, Pete,

Cheers, mate! :)

AussiePete wrote:

Well I have got the database up and running but have hit a couple of snags. 

The database is a contact list with fields that include name and email. everything worked fine for a while. 

But now when I do a find by pasting an email address in the email field I get a message telling me that there are no records that match that critera.

But if I do a search on the persons name I find that there is in fact an email address that matches the one I pasted. The same thing happens if I type the whole email address.

Any suggestions as to what I did wrong? 

Mr Vodka is right. The character "@" used in emails stands for a wild-card character when in Find mode. According to FileMaker online help:

To find: words with on or more unknown variable characters (any one character)

Type this in the field: one wild-card character (@) for each unknown character

Examples: Gr@y finds Gray and Gray; @on finds Don and Ron but not Bron

By using the reversed slash "\", you warn FileMaker that the following character should be taken as it is --  a character -- and not a wild-card operator. Please refer to "Finding Text and Characters" in the online help for a complete list of search operators.

I hope I could be of any help.

Best wishes,

E*

• 3. Re: finding records
              AussiePete

Thanks Ed & Mr Vodka

• 4. Re: finding records
                mwilson

This would seem to be a bug, as @ is also a character, so by definition, finding myemail@myserver.com should match myemail@myserver.com or myemailpserver.com but not myemail@aserver.com