1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 18, 2011 8:10 AM by philmodjunk

Finding Records By First Word In Field

JoeQuinlivan

Title

Finding Records By First Word In Field

I have my database almost finished but can't figure out how to make this work.

When I go to find mode, it returns all records that have the search criteria anywhere in the field's text.  Example:  I need to find a company called "Baker Trucking Company".  So I enter "Baker" in the company field and it returns every company that has "Baker" in the field such as "Bob's Bakery".  I need it to return only companies that start with "Baker".  An example of what it should return would be "Bakery Products", "Baker & Baker", "Baker Trucking". 

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Finding Records By First Word In Field
          philmodjunk

That type of search always looks like it should be simple to do in FileMaker but turns out not to be all that simple.

Best way I know is to define a calculation field and then search on the calculation field.

Two different calculations that will work here:

LeftWords ( Company ; 1 )

Substitute ( Company ; " " ; "_" )

Either option lets you enter "baker" into this calculation field and your search for "baker" will work. The second option turns a typical multi-word company name into a single name which would allow you to search your table by specifying more than just the first name.