1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 17, 2009 11:21 AM by philmodjunk

Finding records in external table

bstribl

Title

Finding records in external table

Looking for some help in solving a find problem with external data tables/views. 

The Setup:

FMP table that collects and stores dates when various letters were mailed.

this table has a layout divided into three sections, top is licensing information retrieved from the OCL.RegisterProtest vew by matching on the application number field.  the middle section contains information about a person who is protesting the issuance of the license  and is retrieved from the OCL.Protestant view.  the bottom section holds the mailing dates for the various pieces of correspondence sent and recevied.

Oracle views:

1 - OCL.RegisterProtest view contains license information (name, addresss, application number, license number)

2 - OCL.Protestant view contains protestant information (organization, name, application number, licesne number)

Now to muddy the waters.  there may be several OCL.Protestant records related to a OCL.registerProtest record.

My problem.  when i do a find on the application number to retrieve the data from the 2 oracle views, I only get 1 record in the found set.  My test data has three records in the OCL.Protestant view. 

My Question:  I believe the find command is only looking ath the filmaker table and returning the only record found.  how do i make the find command look in the OCL tables?

• 1. Re: Finding records in external table
          philmodjunk

My Question:  I believe the find command is only looking ath the filmaker table and returning the only record found.  how do i make the find command look in the OCL tables?

If I understand how FMP links to other DB engines like Oracle, you can't use FMP's find tool. Instead, you've got to enter the wonderful world of SQL which is the language used to query DB's like Oracle.