1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 24, 2014 10:16 AM by philmodjunk

Finding Related Records

episking

Title

Finding Related Records

I have a table "Trainings" and a Table "TrainingSignatures".  docKey is the PK in Trainings, and the FK in TrainingSignatures.

Trainings includes the following fields:

• docKey (Indexed, Auto-enter serial, can't modify auto)
      •      
      • Course Name
      •      
      • Date
      •      
      • Instructor

TrainingSignatures includes the following fields:

• docKey (Indexed)
      •      
      • Name
      •      
      • Signature

Currently I have a training layout that includes a portal with names and signatures.

I'm now designing a printable/searchable report that should allow for a find by Name, returning the records of courses that person has taken as well as a find by course name, listing all the Names that have taken the course and the date the course was taken.

I'm not sure how to get the latter part working.. Do I need a portal?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Finding Related Records
          philmodjunk

Perform the find on a layout based on TrainingSignatures. Specify the course name in Trainings when you perform the find for all people that took a particular course.

This can be a manual find if you put the Course Name field from Trainings on the layout. This type of search can also be scripted.

If you set up the layout as a list or table view, you'll be able to either get a list of all courses taken by a single person or all people that took a particular course--depending on the criteria you use in the find.

If you want to script this process, you might find the examples found here to be a good source of ideas: Scripted Find Examples

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking