14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2015 3:19 AM by NathanVeitch

Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?

philmodjunk

Title

Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?

We have to collect fingerprint images on some of our documents in order to stay in compliance with state law on some of our transactions. Currently, the customer uses an ink pad to put a thumbprint on one copy of the receipt which we then file.

I'd like to replace that with a scanned image of the thumbprint that we can insert into a container field and print via plain paper printer or Save As PDF anytime we are asked to bring up a customer's receipt for this type of transaction by a Law Enforcement Officer or State Auditor.

We don't need to do any kind of biometric identification here, just capture a reproducible digital image.

Has anyone tried to set this up?

Can anyone recommend for or against particular finger print scanners?

• 1. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
          sai

PhilModjunk,

You may want to look here:

http://www.identogo.com/ProductsServices/LiveScanFingerprinting.aspx

These guys pretty much own most of the biometric available.

• 2. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
            philmodjunk

Thanks and I will check that out, but biometric functions are not needed. All I need to do is capture a digital image of the customer's thumbprint in order to digitally comply with a state law for capturing thumbprints for specific types of transactions where they require it.

As long as the system can put a digital image somewhere on the computer's hard drive or the system clipboard, I can set up FileMaker to find and insert that image into a container field and then I have what I need.

• 3. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
              schamblee

I haven't used or tested this scanner but I found this one on Amazon that might work for you.  

http://www.amazon.com/Futronic-FS80-Fingerprint-Scanner/dp/B0031IGYN0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400779596&sr=1-1&keywords=live+fingerprint+scanner

http://www.futronic-tech.com/product_fs80.html

There is an easy to clean / inkless fingerprint pad you can get from the following link

http://www.idtechnologies.com/category.aspx?categoryID=69

You might be able to use a regular paper scanner with an inkless fingerprint pad to make the fingerprint direct on the scanner then clean the glass after each use.  I have used the inkless pads to make fingerprints on checks, but I haven't scanned any prints.  Remember to use the easy clean fingerprint pads, the other ink may not cleanup off the scanner.

I would be interested in creating a databases for scanning fingerprints, so if any of this works or you come up with a better solution please let me know.

Stacy Chamblee

• 4. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
                philmodjunk

There are quite a few scanners out there that look like they'll do the job, just looking for any available "user reviews" amongst the FileMaker community.

We could scan our current inked thumb prints if we wanted to do that, but that would take way too long, and introduce possible errors getting the correct print with the correct customer tag.

• 5. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
                  philmodjunk

And checking Dave's link, that's definitely not what we are looking for.

• 6. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
                    sai

Phil,

Why do you think the link I suggested is not appropriate?  Maybe I'm not familiar with your app.  However, states may require certain devices to capture fingerprints.  Can you explain your app a little further?

Dave.

• 7. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
                      philmodjunk

The link refers to Identigo, a service that scans and uses fingerprints to do background checks. That's not what we need. All we need is the ability to capture a digital image of a customer's thumbprint and store it in a container field associated with their Purchase Order receipt so that we can print out that receipt with the thumb print image on a plain paper copier or email it as a PDF.

We will not be using biometrics to identify people. We will not need to use prints to do background checks.

Here's the scenario (Simplified):

We buy scrap metal from the general public. Due to ongoing problems with crooks destroying public and private property to steal copper, brass, and other nonferrous scrap metal which they then try to sell to dealers like us, the state of California requires that when we purchase certain (mostly) nonferrous materials, we have to take their picture, make them wait three days before receiving payment and when they pick up payment after the waiting period, they have to put their thumbprint on a copy of the receipt that we then have to file and supply to Law Enforcement Officers upon demand.

We just need to capture that image digitally so that we can either print a copy of the receipt with the thumbprint or email a PDF of it when an investigating officer requires this document--saving us a great deal of time and trouble.

My preliminary research shows that there are quite a few devices that should be capable of doing the job and I've opened communications with several suppliers requesting a bit more technical info as all the device needs to do is either store the scanned image in the system clipboard or as a standard format image file in a folder and I can then set up a system to insert that image into a container field of the current receipt. We already do something similar with digital cameras equipped with "eyeFi" SD cards for capturing the needed pictures this law also requires.

So I was mainly looking for anyone that might be able to post things like: "We use device XYZ here and it works great, was nothing but trouble, or..." to help me narrow the scope of my research a bit.

• 8. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
                        sai

Phil,

Thanks for your explanation.  My background is in Security so my first thought when asked about fingerprints is "biometric identification".  I think your approach for investigating solutions is right on target.  Just make sure that whoever you deal with offers local support.

Dave.

• 9. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
                          chrishass

Phil,

Every time I renew my driver's license I have to get fingerprinted for a Haz-Mat endorsement. At the fingerprinting site I went to they had a slick little scanner that showed the image in real time on the computer screen. The operator just clicks when the image is what they want. The image on screen looks pretty much like what you get with ink and paper. Here's a link to the Hazprints website. 

https://hazprints.tsa.dhs.gov/Public/

If you click on Locations then enter a zip code it will give you a list of sites collecting fingerprints.  If there's one near you it might be worth a trip to check out the scanner they use.  

• 10. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
                            chrishass

Another thought-

We already do something similar with digital cameras equipped with "eyeFi" SD cards for capturing the needed pictures this law also requires.

...If your cameras have a decent macro mode, you might get an acceptable image just by taking a close-up photo of the ink fingerprint on paper.  Might speed up the process using the camera as the only image source rather than collecting images from two devices?

• 11. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
                              sai

Phil,

The service described by Chris actually uses the services of the company I referenced in my link.  It is all part of MorphoTrust.  See:

http://www.morphotrust.com/IdentityServices.aspx

By the way if you look here:

http://www.identogo.com/FP/California.aspx

It appears that California uses their services.  You may want to check this out in the event they change the rules for your app such that you have to integrate with their existing system.

Dave.

• 12. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
                                philmodjunk

The cameras aren't an option. They aren't that good and it would take either a lot of time or sticking one permanently on a tri-pod (to keep a standard distance from the image) and if we were going to do that, we might as well get a scanner specifically designed for finger prints.

• 13. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
                                  philmodjunk

To repeat, we do not need a service, just the right hardware.

To repeat from my first post, we do not need biometric based identification.

We just need to capture a digital image and insert it, or a reference into a container field. This should be quite simple to do as long as the device's basic set up options allow for this type of use of their hardware.

• 14. Re: Finger Print Scanner Recommendations for FileMaker Pro?
                                    NathanVeitch

Hi There,

I know I am posting this to an old thread, but I am working with a client who would like to setup a finger print scanner to the gym turnstile and have FM verify if they have paid or not and then open the turnstile accordingly. Would my client be able to use the Futronic Scanner that was suggested? My client is fully Mac based, so the device would have to be Mac compatible. 

Should I start a new thread?