10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2012 3:32 PM by FranciscoCascardo

First Email Campaign

EmilyFrost

Title

First Email Campaign

I am very new with the whole File Maker Pro software, and I am looking to create an email campaign. Once this campaign is created, will I be able to track results...meaning will I see who has opened the email or the attachment and so on? Also, instead of attaching a file or some sort to the email, can I create an HTML email within filemaker? Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: First Email Campaign
          philmodjunk

Are you using the email campaign starter solution?

You cannot generate anything but plain text emails with just FileMaker, but you could adapt this solution to use an email plug in. There are several avaialable that offer more options than just the basic capabilities built into Filemaker.

• 2. Re: First Email Campaign
            EmilyFrost

Yes, I am using the starter solution. How would I go about installing the email plug-in? Thanks

• 3. Re: First Email Campaign
              philmodjunk

First you need to select one that you think will work for you. There are several email plug ins offered by third party developers. You can web search to find the developers' sites and evaluate price and feature to select the one you want. They can also provide you with technical support specific to their product.

To add a plug in, you put it in the Extensions folder created as part of the Installation of FileMaker, then open FileMaker and Use Edit | Preferences to enable it.

• 4. Re: First Email Campaign
                billparker

I too am wanting to start an email campaign.  I am OK with plain test but I want to personilze my emails with the GIVEN name of the recipinet.   Instead of "Dear Valued Client"  I want to say "Dear John".   How do I do this?

Do I need 3rd party software?   If so, what do you recommend.

• 5. Re: First Email Campaign
                  philmodjunk

You just need to set up the body of your email as a calculation that includes that data. Click the arrow next to the Body box in the Send Mail dialog and enter a calculation for the message you want to email out.

"Dear " & Table::FirstNameField & ",¶¶" & "Body of message goes here in quotes unless it is also stored in a field."

The ¶ operator inserts a return. I've used two here to double space the salutation from the message body.

• 6. Re: First Email Campaign
                    billparker

I am new to FM so I am having trouble with "enter a calculation for the message".  The Field is called "First name" and that's (I assume) the subject of the calculation.

• 7. Re: First Email Campaign
                      philmodjunk

How far can you get with this before you get stuck?

Can you find the arrow button to the right of the "Message" box and select specify calculation?

Once you get there, you can add any fields you want in your calculation by finding them in the list of fields at the top and double clicking them. You can use ¶ whenever you need to start a new line of text. Any text you want to add that is not in a field you can type in and enclose in quotes. Use the Ampersand (&) as the 'glue' to stick all these pieces together.

• 8. Re: First Email Campaign
                        billparker

Thankyou for youe assistance - the piece:

"Dear " & Table::FirstNameField & ",¶¶" & "Body of message goes here in quotes unless it is also stored in a field."

The ¶ operator inserts a return. I've used two here to double space the salutation from the message body."

I got it also from tech help in Australia by phone.  Its a bit disappinting that FM help is so bare bones consdiering how powerful the software is.

Thanks.

• 9. Re: First Email Campaign
                          philmodjunk

I suggest you try following these steps and see where they take you. It may take some trial and error on your part before you get it all figured out. Feel free to report back if you can get part way through and then encounter a problem.

First you open the Send Mail dialog. For a one time email, you can do this from the File Menu. For an email you want to send repeatedly, you can create a script where Send Mail is one of the script steps in the script. for either option, you end up with the same dialog box were you can specify what will be sent in the email and to whom.

Select Specify calculation from the menu that pops up when you click the arrow to the right of the message box.

In the specify calculation dialog, you type in the stuff in quotes (include the quote marks) and also the ampersands. To add a field to the expression, find the field in the list at the top and double click it.

• 10. Re: First Email Campaign
                            FranciscoCascardo

Hi,

I'm using the Filemaker EMAIL CAMPAIGN, and imported contact info from excel, but with the records imported I can not use the functions of the solution, like ADD CONTACTS TO A GROUP or ADD CONTACTS TO THE RECIPIENTS LIST, is like the buttons are blocked.

I just can use this buttons with rocords created within filemaker, that means using the NEW CONTACT button.

Any sugestions, I need to send this campaing and was hoping to use the solution.

Francisco.