7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 10:50 AM by ijontichy

First occurence search

ijontichy

Title

First occurence search

In filmmaking there are several situations in which you pull several shots from one roll of negative.

But when you have all the shots you want to pull in a list--is there a way to then display only the first occurance of each roll of negative?

So it's not really the same as a "find unique values in a field" which you can do with an inversion of the "!" search (but will exclude the records for which there was only one original value).    What it really is is a "please show me the first use of a specific value" search, eliminating all subsequent uses of that same value.

Am I being clear?

• 1. Re: First occurence search
          TSGal

pirxx:

Thank you for your post.

I think I understand.  I'm assuming that each roll of negatives, each individual negative is numbered.  Therefore, you could create a relationship with the roll number and the negative number.  You could then have a calculation field that returns "1", and use that to link to the first negative and display it.  Am I on the right track?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: First occurence search
            ijontichy

Well, I'm not sure I understand your answer, so let me try to explain it again.

When you shoot a film you have several shots on a single roll of negative.   Say you shoot a close up and then a wide shot and then maybe even a whole different scene.   10 minutes per roll, basically, so you could have 50-60 shots on a single roll of negative (though usually it's much less).

So now when you're editing, let's say you use 15 of those shots for vfx work.    You set up a scan request with 15 records, each of which identifies negative roll A015 as the source.    And it's combined with other shots from other rolls.

So you create a scan request that has, say 50 unique scan requests that originate from only 9 unique negative rolls.    

I'd like an automatic way to be able to show only the 9 negative rolls that have to be moved from the lab to generate the 50 scans.   Right now I can sort by negative roll and use a flag box to pick first occurence and then search again for just the flags and I have it--but I shouldn't have to.

I hope that's clearer.   And if your solution below addresses that I'm afraid I need it broken down into smaller steps.

Cheers and thanks.

• 3. Re: First occurence search
              TSGal

pirxx:

Thank you for the clarification.

I have a few more questions....

Using your example, you have used 15 shots for vfx work, so you set up a "1" scan request with 15 shots/records, and each scan request is identified with one or more negative rolls.  Can you also use the same shots in other scan requests?

It sounds like you have a table with scan requests.  Each scan request is linked to the shots in a specific roll (having a roll ID and a negative ID/number).

If this is not the case, how is it set up currently?

If this is the case, in your Film table, what fields are being accessed in your portal?

Getting closer....

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: First occurence search
                ijontichy

I have a table that is the CODEBOOK.   This is a master record of what shots exist on what rolls of negative, plus much other useful information.

The table I'm working in is specifically for scan requests.   When a VFX shot is "turned over" for work, I have to define the elements.   

For example, let's say it's a shot of an actor running from a dinosaur.   The actor was shot against blue screen on roll RA020 and was called on shot 104a_2a.    The dinosaur is a stop motion pupppet from roll VX015 and was called V104a_1.

I define a record for both of those elements, naming them (again for example)

DS001_fg_v001

DS001_bg_v001

Then in the same record,  I identify which take comprises each element

(104a_2a and V104A_1, respectively).    I then enter the keycode for the "ins" and "outs" of each shot, plus handle and other calculations I have no problem handling.

Then in my scan request view, the link between the Codebook table and the scan worksheet table puts in the appropriate lab roll /camera roll information for each element.

Repeat until I have a batch of several shots I need to have scanned for VFX work.    

That list is necessary for the scanner to know what to grab.    But from that list, I want to isolate--in a different view (or to be really slick, a summary field at the end of the list)--a list of the unique negative rolls needed to fulfill that scan request;  e.g. the list of negative that has to move from the lab.    Does that help?   It's not a portal.    The elements are treated as a portal for the master record representing the VFX shot, but that's not my problem at the moment.

Thanks!

e.

• 5. Re: First occurence search
                  TSGal

pirxx:

Thanks again for the additional information.

The negative rolls are listed in CODEBOOK.  Since you have a relationship/link between CODEBOOK and Scan Worksheet tables, go to a layout that contains CODEBOOK information with a portal into Scan Worksheet table.  In the Scan Worksheet portal, include the scan request field.  Perform a find in the portal for the appropriate scan request, and all negative roll records will be listed.  That is, this will let you know which negative roll records are needed for the appropriate scan request.

Does that make sense?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: First occurence search
                    ijontichy

I think it makes sense.   Let me try a few things and I'll let you know.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: First occurence search
                      ijontichy

Thanks!  It worked.   Ran into one issue in that I put the portal to the scan work in the header as my "Search for this field" and once it searched for batch 008, for example, if a negative roll had also been associated with batch 003, it showed batch 003.   But I inverted the sort order of the portal and now I'm golden.

Thank you!