AnsweredAssumed Answered

First Relational DB:  Adding Several Actors to One-Layout Movie Database

Question asked by PeterTeneldas on Oct 9, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

First Relational DB:  Adding Several Actors to One-Layout Movie Database

Hello to you. 

I have never designed a relational database before, and would like to create a simple one for my movie collection.  I’ve created several flat file db’s, and have read a lot of documentation about one-to-many, but sitting down and planning one out myself is not as easy as I thought.  So, I am hoping I can get some assistance here, please.

My movie collection database needs to be able to enter and display more than one actor/actress.  Right now, my flat file movie collection database lets me enter only one, unless I add extra fields for additional performers.  I’m assuming I can have numerous actors in a record if I use a relational database.

I’ll give you an example:  The record for The Godfather should be able to display Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Diane Keaton, and a few others.  The record for Jaws should be able to display Richard Dreyfus, Robert Shaw, and Roy Scheider.

I’d prefer to have only one form/layout, instead of having more than one.  I’d prefer not to have a separate form/layout just for performers.  I do not know if this is possible.

I also have not figured out how many tables I will need.  I am assuming I need only two, both with ACTORS as a field.  But I’m not sure about that, either.

So, may I please request some advice and feedback about this?  How many tables do you think would be required for this?  Can I design the layout to have just one form, or will I absolutely need a separate page just for actors? 

Can I design the layout so all of the performers’ names are displayed at once, or will I have to scroll through a field to see them all? 

Is what I want to do easy, as far as a relational database is concerned, or complicated?

Thank you for any help you’d be willing to provide.  Peter Teneldas

PS:  Filemaker Pro Adv 12.0

Outcomes