7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2013 11:17 AM by janslort

First value in repeating field not importing

janslort

Title

First value in repeating field not importing

Hello:

i am using FM11 Pro Advanced on a PC. Running windows 7 Pro. 

I have a repeating field (4) repeats for a number field. When I import it to another file, the first repeat is not importing.  The second, 3rd & 4th are ok.  Just the first is not.  This is true even when it is the only one of the four with an value.  I can see it in the correct position when I look at the import data records in the match window, but no transfer (import) occurs.

B.T.W. Is it possible to get the fields sorted on both sides into any order before the matching process begins?

jan

• 1. Re: First value in repeating field not importing
          philmodjunk

Can you describe in detail exactly how you are importing this data and into what kind of field? (repeating or single value?)

Yes, you could sort the contents of a repeating field, but it's not worth the trouble. A repeating field can be replaced with a set of related records, one record in place of each repetition and then sorting them becomes very simple and importing that data into another file will also be fairly straightforward.

• 2. Re: First value in repeating field not importing
            janslort

Phil:

thanks for your reply oN this  matter. I am importing the repeating fields from a file with the repeating fields into a file with the same number of repeats in a similar field type (numbers).  The values all populate except the first value AND ONLY FOR THIS ONE FIELD. They're are 4 other fields in the same import with similar repeats that ore working fine when imported.

the sorting of fields before matching is all fields by name, or other orders for mapping purposes. Not a repeating field issue..

jan

• 3. Re: First value in repeating field not importing
              philmodjunk

I'd still not use repeating fields.

But as for your importing, are their any auto-enter calculations or field validations specified for that field in the target table? And if so, did you enable auto-enter options when setting up the import?

The mapping field options are what they are. If you can import from a table in one file to a table with the same field names in the other, it can make mapping the fields a lot easier, but of course this is not always possible.

• 4. Re: First value in repeating field not importing
                janslort

Phil:

exactly right. I WAS placing a default value into the first repeat.

thanks

jan

• 5. Re: First value in repeating field not importing
                  janslort

Phil:

the reason I'm doing this import in the first place is to  Create an entry in a "check book" without triggering a new serial number assigned check number on creation of a new record. It's important to maintain control over pre-assigned check numbers, so I need to find a way to enter bank charges that don't result from a check (bank fees, or other statement generated charges) or Accounts Payable that will get checks issued later. 

Jan

• 6. Re: First value in repeating field not importing
                    philmodjunk

So it would be useful to be able to generate a unique serial number "on demand"? Such can be done by defining the auto-entered serial number in a related table and then only creating that related record when such a serial number is needed. This works well for a single series of values in your table, but not if you have transactions for several different accounts in the same table and need a different number sequence for each.

• 7. Re: First value in repeating field not importing
                      janslort

Thank you Phil, that works. 

jan Slort