AnsweredAssumed Answered

First-time user needs help

Question asked by jrhody on Nov 23, 2009
Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 by ninja

Title

First-time user needs help

New user creating my first database of products.  Some products are specifically for the public sector; some for private sector and some for non-profit sector.  Some public sector products are specifically for federal government, some for state government and some for local government.  Some products fit into multiple sectors.

I have a checkbox field where the user will select the sectors the product is intended for (they may select more than one).  I have another field which generates a unique serial number.  I need for the serial number field to have a two-letter prefix which indicates the sector(s) the product is designed for.  For example:

Product Serial Number/Used in Sector(s)

PU1234567 Public 

PR1234568 Private

NP1234569 Non-Profit

AS1234570 All Sectors

PN1234571 Private and Non-Profit

UN1234572 Public and Non-Profit

PP1234573 Public and Private

Any product serial number with a PU prefix indicates this product is for public sector organizations.

Any product serial number with a PR prefix indicates this product is for private sector organizations.

Any product serial number with a NP prefix indicates this product is for non-profit sector organizations. 

Any product serial number with a AS prefix indicates this product is for organizations in all sectors

Any product serial number with a PN prefix indicates this product is for private sector and non-profit sector organizations.

Any product serial number with a UN prefix indicates this product is for public sector and non-profit sector organizations. 

Any product serial number with a PP prefix indicates this product is for public sector and private sector organizations. 

I need an auto-entry field for the product prefix, which will return one of seven values (PU, PR, NP, AS, PN, UN, or PP) depending on which sector checkboxes are selected.  

I have searched and read everything I can find, but I cannot figure out how to make such an auto-entry field.  Advice anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Jim 

Outcomes