1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 10:29 AM by philmodjunk

Fixed corruption with Recover - Is it safe to proceed with the Recovered database?

Ward

Title

Fixed corruption with Recover - Is it safe to proceed with the Recovered database?

The essence of my question:

I have a FileMaker database with two "phantom" Custom Functions.  Their names and parameters are blank, and Edit and Delete do nothing.  FileMaker won't let me create new functions with the same names as the two phantoms.

I was able to get rid of the phantom functions by Recovering the file.  Recover, at the outset, warns that a recovered file should only be used to recover data.  The message at the end of recovery implied that the file can be used, proceeding with caution.

I see two paths forward:

1. Use the recovered database file in place of the corrupted file.
      2. Restore an uncorrupted database file from Time Machine, apply recent field and script updates, and import the data from the current (corrupted) file.

#1 is a lot easier; #2 will be quite tedious because there were a number of field and script changes that need to be re-done.

How should I proceed?

The background:

Yesterday, I was using FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to remote open and edit a client's database over the Internet.  My FileMaker session ended abruptly with a beachball-of-death, and I had to Force Quit FileMaker.  The cause of the beachball is not clear -- a FileMaker problem, an Internet glitch, a problem with Mac OS X -- I couldn't tell.

When I relaunched FileMaker and tried to open the client's database, FileMaker complained my license was already in use and quit.

An hour or two later, after restarting Mac OS X, I was able to open the client's database and proceed with my development.  After an hour or so, I discovered that two Custom Functions I'd added a couple of days ago had become "phantoms" -- see the description at the beginning.

After I discovered this corruption, my client closed and reopened the corrupted file, which didn't fix the problem.  Except for the phantom functions, everything is working fine.

As I mentioned above, I'd prefer using the Recovered database.

-- Ward

• 1. Re: Fixed corruption with Recover - Is it safe to proceed with the Recovered database?
          philmodjunk

2 is your best practice. 1 is likely to work for you, but there are no guarantees--hence 2 being the better practice.

Yesterday, I was using FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to remote open and edit a client's database over the Internet.

I don't recommend doing that to modify the design of a database. Connection glitches can damage your file if they take place while design changes are being committed back to the file and the damage may not be noticeable for quite some time.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          2. Recover does not detect all problems
          3. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          4. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.