13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2013 7:00 AM by philmodjunk

Fixing wifes little error

DanielRemin

Title

Fixing wifes little error

Hello all,

I am currently creating a contact database using the templates. Unfortunately, my wife accidentally placed the Postal Address information in the Work Address. Is there a way of moving all 376 files information into the right tab besides from manually doing it, I already clocked about 80 and I am already over it.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

• 1. Re: Fixing wifes little error
          philmodjunk

Replace field contents can be used to copy data from field 1 to field 2 if you use the calculation option. You can show all records and then use Replace Field contents to move the data.

It would be prudent to save a copy of your file in case you make a mistake while doing this as you can't undo this change that could modify every record in your table.

• 2. Re: Fixing wifes little error
            DanielRemin

Thank you PhilModJunk, I shall attempt this right now. Hopefully I wont stuff it up.

Cheers,

Daniel

• 3. Re: Fixing wifes little error
              DanielRemin

Hello again,

I just tried to do the replace text using calc and it does not work for me. I am choosing Work Address 1 the select replace from right side then select Postal address.

I am obviously doing something wrong, thanks in advance again

Daniel

• 4. Re: Fixing wifes little error
                philmodjunk

You need to put the cursor in the Postal Address field and then select Replace field contents. Then select the calculation option. In the specify calculation dialog, select the Work address field by double clicking that field in the list at top left to add it into the box at center bottom.

• 5. Re: Fixing wifes little error
                  DanielRemin

I followed correctly ( I think) but the error comes up "The function cannot be found"

• 6. Re: Fixing wifes little error
                    philmodjunk

Please copy and paste here what you are entering that produces that error. A screen shot of the Specify Calculation dialog would be even better.

• 8. Re: Fixing wifes little error
                      DanielRemin

Silly me, sorry, was putting replace command inside the replace calculations box. Is it possible to put all commands in one "script" so to speak, or do I need to manually do each field

• 9. Re: Fixing wifes little error
                        DanielRemin

I must log off now, there is a massive electrical storm coming. I will log back on in a few hours and see the posts. Thanks again for your help PhilModJunk and teaching this novice.

Cheers,

Daniel

• 10. Re: Fixing wifes little error
                          philmodjunk

Is it possible to put all commands in one "script" so to speak, or do I need to manually do each field

Yes, in the script editor inside Manage | Scripts. But we are not doing a script. We are just selecting a menu option while in browse mode and setting up a calculation.

Stay safe...

• 11. Re: Fixing wifes little error
                            philmodjunk

Just as I clicked "Post", it occurred to me that maybe you are asking if you can correct all the different address fields in one go. Such as copying over data from a street address, a zipcode, city, state...

If so, then a script in Manage | Scripts can be set up to do that. But since this sounds like a "one time fix", there isn't any real reason to do that.

• 12. Re: Fixing wifes little error
                              DanielRemin

Hello again all,

I have successfully followed the instructions to do a field by field replacement. My next question is, can I create a script to only run once on the selected record. For example:

If I have details in all fields for work address but no details in postal address, can a script pull all the information from the work to postal, but only for this record, because the next record may have postal details that are different from the work.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

• 13. Re: Fixing wifes little error
                                philmodjunk

A script using one set field step for each such pair of fields can be set up to copy the data from one group of fields to the other.

When Setting up Set Field, there are two Specify buttons that must be clicked. To get Set Field [Table::Field ; Expression], add set field to your script and click the first button (specify target field). Select Table::Field from the list of fields. Do not click the specify button next to the repetition box. Click OK to close this dialog box. Now click the lower specify button (calculated result) and create the expression to the right of the semicolon (;). Do not try to type in the semicolon.