8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2009 11:19 AM by dekade1

Floating Window

dekade1

Title

Floating Window

I am having trouble getting a 'new window' script step to do what I want it to do. I have a few windows open. I have the main one I am working with maximized. Let's call that window "Table A". The other windows are just behind "Table A" in no particular format (minimized or maximized or etc.).

I am now wanting to script to open a 'new window' "Table A-2". This would be a copy of "Table A". When the new window opens I want it to be about 1/3 the size of the original "Table A" and I want "Table A" to stay in view just the way it currently is. I want to be able to drag "Table A-2" around on top of "Table A" and do mouse interaction with either window at any time, but, retain "Table A" maximized with "Table A-2" being able to float around on topof "Table A".

Where am I stuck? Well, I can open a new window "Table A-2" BUT I cannot get it the right size nor can I get window "Table A" to stay the size it was to begin with.

So if that is happening I probably will have trouble with mouse interaction also. So, I guess I'm just stuck period with making the whole thing work.

Thanks ahead of time for any assistance.

• 1. Re: Floating Window
          Jens Teich
             Sounds like you are working on Windows. This is a limitation of your OS or of FileMaker on Windows if you want.

FileMaker supports only one Application frame. One Frame can not have one maximized window and another window visible at the same time.

Jens

• 2. Re: Floating Window
            dekade1

Would the issue be possible on a MAC?

On the other hand then, in windows, ... would it be possible, even though there are maybe 6 tables open, to have only the two I am speaking of showing on top of the others in a vertical tiling of specific pixel sizing? If so, how could that arrangement be scripted?

• 3. Re: Floating Window
              Jens Teich
                 > Would the issue be possible on a MAC?

On a Mac this problem does not exist because there is no application frame at all.

> On the other hand then, in windows, ... would it be possible, even though there are
              > maybe 6 tables open, to have only the two I am speaking of showing on top of the
              > others in a vertical tiling of specific pixel sizing? If so, how could that arrangement be scripted?

You can have multiple windows and script sizes an front window as you like. But on Win you can have only one window maximized.

Jens

• 4. Re: Floating Window
                swj

The only floating windows in Filemaker are dialogs. In ScriptMaker - Miscellaneous - 'Show Custom Dialog', you can specify 3 fields for input. Would 3 fields be enough to help? If not, what about another dialog with a different 3 fields etc.

Other than that, you could use 'Toggle Window Minimize' to hide all the files that you are not interested in, then 'Toggle Window Zoom' to size the 2 files that you wish to work with. The Mac version does have 'Toggle Window Hide' also.

Or, you could create a new Layout with two areas on it, usng all the fields that you need from both files, but on the one layout, maybe using a Portal if necessary.

• 5. Re: Floating Window
                  dekade1
                     Thank you for your input Scott. This has given me some options that I will set forth to try. Have a nice New Year. By the way I guess there is no way to resize dialogs is there; or change font etc.?
                  • 6. Re: Floating Window
                    dekade1
                       Jens, thanks for your help on my questions. Have a nice New Year.
                    • 7. Re: Floating Window
                      swj

dekade,

I don't think that you mention which version  you are using. In Windows version 8, I just acheived what I think you are trying to do, with just three script steps.

Open File ["Table A"]

Move/Resize Window [Name: "Table A"; Current file; Height: 480; Width: 640; Top: 0; Left: 0]

New Window [Name: "Table A-2"; Height: 240; Width: 320; Top:100; Left: 200]

NOTE: "Table A" can't be maximised, but must have it's size set if you want a repeatable result.

• 8. Re: Floating Window
                        dekade1

Scott

I am using version 9. I think what you said you are doing is what I am wanting to do. I'll give it a try.

Thank you for your time in replying.