AnsweredAssumed Answered

Flowing text round image

Question asked by AlastairMcInnes on Apr 24, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 by AlastairMcInnes

Title

Flowing text round image

I am responsible for maintaining a database for a book publisher. I've been asked to create a layout for a single page information sheet which we'll use to summarise a book prior to publication.

They want the cover image of the book shown in the top right of the page, with a small block of text underneath containing such things as the price, ISBN, dimensions, publishing date. This block is to be the same width as the image above it (about 4cm) and will always be more or less the same height as we're only going to use this layout for our own publications so we'll always have all the information it requires.

What they want in the rest of the page (starting level with the top of the cover image) are the title, subtitle, author(s), summary, key features (in a bulleted list), description and author biography. Once below the level of the info-block under the cover image, they want the rest of the text to be the full width of the page and this is what is causing me problems.

I tried using a merge field for the main text with a 5cm right indent for the first few paragraphs. This worked well but means we need to try to make sure that the short summary, title, subtitle, key features always take up much the same amount of vertical space - too much and there will be a big gap under the info-block; too little and the description will overwrite the info-block.

Then I thought about using a web-viewer and creating a load of HTML to display the image right-aligned with the text flowing around it.

This actually works OK in browse mode, except that I've no idea how to include the info-block under the image. That, though, is an HTML question, not a Filemaker one. What IS a filemaker problem, though, is that, even though I've set the Web-viewer control to not allow any interaction, there is still a vertical scroll bar in the control in browse mode (though you can't actually scroll with it). Also, when I switch to preview, the text is Squashed up - I mean the actual letters are shrunk so that the whole field fits within the web-viewer.

Now, we're obviously going to have to make sure that the description's and so on are short enough to fit on a single page, but I'd really prefer the control just to lose any extra rather than distort what's there.

From work on other, similar layouts, I know that the web-viewer control won't print the images anything like well enough, so my plan was to have an image control on the same layout with the web-viewer behind the image. This doesn't work in browse as the webviewer just comes to the front anyway, but it DOES seem to work in preview so I'm happy enough about that.

Does anyone have any ideas about how this layout might be made to work? I've attached a jpg of a Word document showing roughly what we're after.

Thanks,

Alastair

AI.jpg

Outcomes